Replacement for Sony RX100

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Replacement for Sony RX100 Read 658 Times
  • Renzo Jaya
    Renzo Jaya
    Participant
    Cameras, Lenses and Shooting Gear
    on: July 25, 2021 at 9:30 pm

I gave away my Sony RX100 away after a long and fruitful stretch. I am looking to replace it. I read the review of the RX 100 VII. Is there any other camera that compares to the Sony with respect to the sensor size, compactness, features and the capability of the Zeiss lens or is the Mark VII the only contender? Look forward to your suggestions.

Thanks.

Bud James
    Bud James
    Participant
    Re: Replacement for Sony RX100
    Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021 at 6:31 am

I did that search last year when my wife dropped my Sony RX100 MkIV. I ended up buying the RX100 MkVII.

It’s expensive, but the auto focus is awesome and the resulting image quality is excellent for a point & shoot. With the longer reach zoom on the MkVII, I  use it on my vacation travels to complement my Leica M10-R with Summicron 35mm lens. I shoot mostly with the Leica, but pull out the MkVII for the reach, when I need a strobe, general snapshots and when I want to hand a camera to a stranger to take a photo of my family group.

Sure, the Sony is expensive, but I think it beats everything out there in a similar form factor.

Regards,
    Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at http://www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at http://www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021 at 11:59 am

I would agree with Bud.  The vii version is like a mini a9.  It’s fast, has a great lens and can always be with you.  Jeff Schewe has his on a lanyard so it always hangs from his neck and ready to go.  Worth the price.  Super incredible what they were able to jam into this camera.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

John Donlan
    John Donlan
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021 at 12:38 pm

Would love to hear a Jeff Schewe mini review on the RX100 :>).

Greyscale

Bud James
    Bud James
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021 at 5:56 am

Here a few shots from our 2019 vacation to Scotland taken with my RX100 MkVII.

I output the JPGs from the Sony RAW files to a longest dimension of 2,048px to keep the file sizes small enough to upload to this website. The full resolution images are very impressive. I process all my images in Capture One Pro 21.

Cheers,
    Bud

Renzo Jaya
    Renzo Jaya
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021 at 10:12 am

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I guess the Sony RX100 MVII is sui generis. I need it only in October so I will wait to see if there is a MVIII – otherwise cough up the moolah.

Bud James
    Bud James
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: August 5, 2021 at 6:57 am

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I guess the Sony RX100 MVII is sui generis. I need it only in October so I will wait to see if there is a MVIII – otherwise cough up the moolah.

You might be able to rent one to try it out.

Cheers,
    Bud

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.