Problem with Master Drive

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Problem with Master Drive Read 241 Times
  • Hugh Sakols
    Hugh Sakols
    Silver Member
    Computers & Displays
    on: May 21, 2022 at 10:16 am

Hi All,

I just got a dreaded message after plugging in my master drive that says mac OS can’t repair the disk.  Back up the disk and reformat it.  Luckily, the disk is backed up.  My mac is running 10.15.7.  Do you think upgrading my OS could help?   What a pain in the ass.  This drive isn’t that old.  And just when I have a bunch of work to do.

John Donlan
    John Donlan
    Participant
    Re: Problem with Master Drive
    Reply #1 on: May 21, 2022 at 2:46 pm

Time for a new drive. No, updating the OS will not repair the drive. SSD time.

Greyscale

Hugh Sakols
    Hugh Sakols
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022 at 4:02 pm

Yes, I’m ordering a new one tomorrow.  First time I had a drive fail.  No, it’s not a matter of if but a matter of when.

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: May 21, 2022 at 5:14 pm

By all means, do a backup, reformat and move the backup back; that may fix the issue.

Now if you can’t reformat the drive, it’s probably DOA.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/a-message-disk-repaired-mh26875/mac

If you continue to have problems with your disk, it may be physically damaged, and you may need to replace it

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Eric Brody
    Eric Brody
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: May 23, 2022 at 12:47 pm

Certainly frustrating but illustrates for all of us that ALL hard drives will fail eventually. Some fail sooner, some later but eventually all will do so. I’m glad you had a backup. With a proper backup system, the rule of three, one local, one elsewhere, and one in the cloud, a drive failure is an inconvenience instead of a disaster. Unfortunately, one must plan on these unpredictable events by having a spare drive ready to go should a drive decide to head south.

Good luck.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.