printing crop marks in LR?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Topic: printing crop marks in LR? Read 321 Times
  • Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Adobe Lightroom & Adobe Camera Raw
    on: December 13, 2023 at 5:07 am

I’d like to print an image at just under A3 (in fact, A3 with 5mm margins), on a sheet of A3+ or A2 paper, or even on a roll. It would be handy if LR could print crop marks at A3, so I can use them to cut the image with its margins (it’s for a competition which strictly insists that prints are submitted on paper which is exactly A3).

Enabling “crop marks” puts the marks at the extremes of the image’s bounding box, which of course on at least one dimension are coterminous with the image itself.

I can’t find a way to do what I want. I’ve been using Lightroom for editing and printing since it was first released and thought I knew it reasonably well, so I’m surprised. Is it possible? Am I missing something obvious (wouldn’t be the first time)?

Jeremy

Simon Simpson
    Simon Simpson
    Participant
    Re: printing crop marks in LR?
    Reply #1 on: December 14, 2023 at 1:00 pm

Select the Print panel.  In Page Setup… select the paper you want to print on (A3+ or A2) then reduce the cell size to A3 and add crop marks.

The creation of 5mm margins is a bit trickier.  You would need to open your original image in Photoshop and then copy and paste it into an A3 blank sheet with your printer’s ppi (e.g. 300 ppi).  You can place guides in Photoshop to create the 5mm margins (they have an active read-out to tell you where they are placed).

The key to this is to have the 5mm margins already in the original image, if you see what I mean, then Lightroom places the crop marks at the edges of the image.

Does this help ?

Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Reply #2 on: December 14, 2023 at 1:16 pm

Thanks, Simon, but not really; that’s a lot more hassle than I need. It’s probably easier for me just to print the image and use a ruler to measure and cut. I’m slightly surprised there’s no way to get it done from within LR’s print module.

Jeremy

Simon Simpson
    Simon Simpson
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: December 14, 2023 at 1:38 pm

Yes, it would be nice if we could make a margin around images from Lightroom.  A bit of an oversight.

Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Reply #4 on: December 15, 2023 at 7:29 am

I posted this query on the lightroomqueen forum and was duly handed a solution. Make the cell exactly A3 size, enable crop marks (which will be at the A3 boundaries) and enable Stroke Border, width 5mm, in white. Bingo. (The stroke width has to be specified in points, but that’s just simple arithmetic.)

Jeremy

Simon Simpson
    Simon Simpson
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: December 15, 2023 at 11:07 am

That’s much simpler than my proposal.  I’ll try and remember this for use in future.  Thanks for posting Jeremy.

Simon Simpson
    Simon Simpson
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: January 30, 2024 at 11:39 am

Found this handy website for anyone that’s interested.  This is not spam.

https://www.unitconverters.net/length/millimeter-to-point.htm

Christopher Sanderson
    Christopher Sanderson
    Gold Member
    Reply #7 on: January 30, 2024 at 4:44 pm

Thanks Simon. That’s useful.

Simon Simpson
    Simon Simpson
    Participant
    Reply #8 on: January 31, 2024 at 11:55 am

Did you get my emails, Chris ?

I tried to post a reply to you in this forum (not this thread) but it failed.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by Simon Simpson.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.