Paper Suggestions??

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Paper Suggestions?? Read 736 Times
  • Cynthia Merzer
    Cynthia Merzer
    Participant
    Papers & Media
    on: June 6, 2022 at 2:05 pm

Lately I have been exploring portraiture of newborns, older babies, toddlers. Looking for inkjet paper recommendations (using Epson SureColor P800) for when I choose to convert to B&W. Most of these images are on the high key side, there’s not a lot of shadow detail. They have a minimalist style; most are photographed on a white or off white background and often have a lot of white negative space surrounding the baby. Attention is focused in post-processing to keeping the whites white. Using the Epson Advanced Black and White mode for printing. Would appreciate paper recommendations for papers that have a brightness similar to Epson Exhibition Fiber, that don’t have a warm tone, don’t have OBAs, and if using photo black ink have a finish similar to Epson’s Legacy Platine.

To clarify, looking for a paper which when printed using the Epson Advanced Black & White mode will render a print similar in look to what you get on the Epson Exhibition Fiber minus the OBAs and with less texture, stippling in the finish. Even better yet if I can get this with a matte paper using matte black ink but I’ll settle for a less textured luster type finish.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: Paper Suggestions??
    Reply #1 on: June 6, 2022 at 2:56 pm

For wide-gamut results Epson Legacy Platine. For the kind of photographs you are describing here a better choice may be Epson Legacy Fibre, using MK ink. Hahnemuehle Photo Rag 308gsm is also an old favorite and very similar to Legacy Fibre. If it’s still available, in the same genre I’d highly recommend Canon Fine Art Smooth. MOAB Entrada Natural is also a fine paper, though very slightly warmer than you may be looking for.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: June 6, 2022 at 6:55 pm

I would second Mark’s suggestions.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Cynthia Merzer
    Cynthia Merzer
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: June 8, 2022 at 4:55 pm

Thank you Mark and Kevin for your responses. What would you think of using Canson Infinity Arhces 88? It’s matt, smooth and a little whiter (I think??) than the Epson Legacy Fiber with no OBAs. Or the Canson Baryta Photographic II Matt? Attaching a typical file so you can see the look I am trying to achieve. It’s important to me that images like this remain as neutral as possible when they go to print.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: June 8, 2022 at 5:00 pm

Superb photo and definitely that kind of image is a great candidate for the matte choices we recommended. Canson Arches 88 is also fine paper too, as is the Baryta Matte. I wrote  up both for this website in July and August 2021 – you can find my reviews and have a detailed look.

Cynthia Merzer
    Cynthia Merzer
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: August 1, 2022 at 11:14 am

Mark,

Finally got around to printing this image. Used Canson Arches 88 paper. The finished print took my breath away. I ended up ordering three 10 sheet packs of 8 1/2 x 11″ paper; Canson Arches 88, and both the Baryta Photographic II in Satin and Matte. Suspect the Arches 88 will become my new favorite for  B&W. Love the Epson Hot Press Natural for color portraits but it’s too warm for the B&W style that I’m after. Almost makes the rendered print look like I added some toning in the processing which I didn’t so the Arches 88 gives me a truer screen to print match. Thanks for the guidance.

BTW thank you for your comment re superb photo. I’m sure you have laid eyes on many a photo so a comment like that is highly appreciated.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #6 on: August 1, 2022 at 11:47 am

You are welcome Cynthia, glad the paper choices are working well for you.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.