P900 makes scary sounds

Tagged: , , , ,

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Topic: P900 makes scary sounds Read 270 Times
  • Logan Stuck
    Logan Stuck
    Participant
    Epson Printers
    on: January 17, 2024 at 6:36 am

Hi All. New here. I was hoping to get some advice on noises my new P900 is making. I am printing a thick A3+ fine art paper from the front feeder. I have the thickness and platen gap settings as per recommended by Hahnemuehle (Using their .emx file actually). I have the thick paper setting turned on. The print looks great when it comes out. BUT. Before printing, the printer makes a few very loud banging sounds. Then while printing, there is a sound that is somewhere between a grind and a ‘clunk’ every time the print head reaches the right side (the maintenance tank side). Is this normal? Or should I be worried? Thank you.IMG_8031

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: P900 makes scary sounds
    Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024 at 10:36 am

Yes, you should be worried. Phone Epson’s Prographics tech support – it’s free and they’re helpful.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024 at 11:15 am

I have 2 p900 printers.  It’s not uncommon to hear sounds like you showed.  If the print is turning out ok, then that is what counts.  Because you are using this paper and front feeder, this may be common.  I have seen it on my printers under these conditions.  I have no idea why it makes that sound, but I don’t think there is a problem.   What happens when you switch back to other media?  I have been printing on some thick media lately and hear sounds but figure it is just the sounds that happen with thicker media and different feed.  My biggest issue is the front feed and sometimes messing up the edge of the paper during the feeding process.  I’m pretty good at it, but if the paper has any curl, you need to be really careful.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

michael ellis
    michael ellis
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024 at 1:38 pm

Hi Logan-

My P900 also makes some odd sounds when printing. The first one I received made a loud clunk every time I used the top feed. When I tried the front feed with thick paper it rolled up the paper and hit the print head which killed the printer. Epson sent me a new one. It also makes some sounds but hasn’t eaten any paper yet. I have been using the front feed only and there is a clunk sound as the paper loads and there is a sound at the end of each pass of the print head. I am not using high speed and don’t know if that would increase the sounds. The printer prints very nicely. I am going to keep using it as is but am ready to call Epson support if there are problems.

Michael

Logan Stuck
    Logan Stuck
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: January 18, 2024 at 5:06 am

Yes, you should be worried. Phone Epson’s Prographics tech support – it’s free and they’re helpful.

I’ll get a hold of them just to be safe. Thanks Mark.

Logan Stuck
    Logan Stuck
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: January 18, 2024 at 5:09 am

I have 2 p900 printers. It’s not uncommon to hear sounds like you showed. If the print is turning out ok, then that is what counts. Because you are using this paper and front feeder, this may be common. I have seen it on my printers under these conditions. I have no idea why it makes that sound, but I don’t think there is a problem. What happens when you switch back to other media? I have been printing on some thick media lately and hear sounds but figure it is just the sounds that happen with thicker media and different feed. My biggest issue is the front feed and sometimes messing up the edge of the paper during the feeding process. I’m pretty good at it, but if the paper has any curl, you need to be really careful.

Hi Kevin. Other media seems to be ok with regards to the loud banging before printing starts. But it still makes the crunch when the head reaches the maintenance tank. I also had quite an issue with the feed. It’s tempting me to get the roll feeder… But that brings other hassles with it. Thanks for sharing your experience with this. It helps.

Logan Stuck
    Logan Stuck
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: January 18, 2024 at 5:37 am

Hi Logan-

My P900 also makes some odd sounds when printing. The first one I received made a loud clunk every time I used the top feed. When I tried the front feed with thick paper it rolled up the paper and hit the print head which killed the printer. Epson sent me a new one. It also makes some sounds but hasn’t eaten any paper yet. I have been using the front feed only and there is a clunk sound as the paper loads and there is a sound at the end of each pass of the print head. I am not using high speed and don’t know if that would increase the sounds. The printer prints very nicely. I am going to keep using it as is but am ready to call Epson support if there are problems.

Michael

Hey Michael. Thanks for sharing your experience with this. It’s good to know Epson is helpful. It gives me confidence. I’ll keep using, but might contact Epson just to see what they say. Thanks!

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #7 on: January 18, 2024 at 2:58 pm

We should receive the new 5370 17-inch printer soon for review and educational videos.  It has basically the same P900 print head as well as a control panel.  The big difference will be the Epson Media Installer, and it may take care of all the issues we have been talking about, especially with non-Epson paper.  Count on us to go into great depth on this when we have it.

Kevin Raber

Eric Brody
    Eric Brody
    Participant
    Reply #8 on: January 18, 2024 at 4:11 pm

My P900 makes some horrible sharp clunking noises as well; it’s a refurb after my initial one (which made the same noises) had horrendous paper feeding problems after six months of use. My refurb is working well even with the noises at the six month mark. The noises are different but occur with both the front feed and the rear (top) feed. The prints are just fine.

I, too, am anxiously awaiting review of the new 5370. Keith Cooper at Northlight Images currently has one and is in the process of reviewing it. Keith says it’s basically the P5000 body with the P900 heads. If he gives it a thumbs up and especially if Mark Segal also gives it a good review, then I’ll figure out how to pay for it and get its 117lb body into my studio. The next question will be how to dispose of the refurbished P900. At this point, I’m not at all sure how I’d sell it. I’m not in a position to guarantee it but would feel terrible if I sold it and it had serious problems a few months in.

I’ve read of a number of folks who’ve gotten replacements from Epson. Even the Epson techs with whom I spoke during the P900 replacement process admit that it’s not the best made printer, compared to the 3880 I foolishly sold to get away from the black ink switching. I’d love to know how many they’ve had to replace but am sure that’s proprietary information.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #9 on: January 19, 2024 at 12:59 pm

May I suggest if you decide to give your p900 away, you consider an Art Center or school?  YOu may also know a local photographer who could benefit from the printer.  I am anxiously awaiting word on when I can expect a 5370 for review.  Mark is already working on getting his hands on one very soon.  When we have ours, we will do a number of videos as well as an in-depth explanation of the new Media Installer, which may be the solution to many of the issues being talked about here.

And, yes, the print head and control panel is the same as the P900 in the 5370.  Let’s see how the functionality and build quality is.

Kevin Raber

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.