P900 issue

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Topic: P900 issue Read 351 Times
  • Keith Randolph
    Keith Randolph
    Participant
    Epson Printers
    on: November 8, 2023 at 2:14 pm

I recently had an issue with my computer. I’ve since had it recovered but found myself missing a few items which I’ve been able to mostly recover. However, I went to print an image out of LR and noticed that something wasn’t right. I did a soft proof and all looked fine. I had double checked my printer settings and all was fine. It was set to color and not Advance B&W. Made a nozzle check and all was perfect. However the print preview showed a B&W image. When I hit print, the printer started and made a print. BUT it made a B&W print, not the color one that I had soft proofed that I was expecting. I had picked the correct Canson profile for the paper I was using (Baryta), the soft proof was correct but, as I stated, the print came out B&W. Prior to the computer issue, I had made my own profiles, but after the computer issue that I mentioned, ALL my homemade profiles were gone, so that is why I downloaded & selected the canned profiles. I don’t know what is going on with this. I also downloaded Epson Print Layout, navigated to the same image that I selected in LR, but instead of the image I selected, there was black where the image was supposed to be. I’m wondering if (and how easy it is) I will need to uninstall then reinstall the P900. and why would the screen in EPL show as a black image?

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: P900 issue
    Reply #1 on: November 8, 2023 at 3:25 pm

Your profile is not causing this problem. It reads like a problem with driver settings or driver performance. In the driver, verify that you have the Colorsync radio button blackened, not Epson Color Controls (even if both of them are greyed out as they should be). Then in the Photoshop Print interface make sure you have “Photoshop Manages Color” for Color Handling. Print from Photoshop for now just to see whether the driver and the application are “following instructions” correctly. If you still get B&W prints when you sent colour data, you could try uninstalling the driver completely (use Epson’s uninstall software) and reloading it. Beware this will uninstall all Epson devices in your system, so you will need to reinstall everything.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: November 8, 2023 at 5:06 pm

Some screen shots of your setting will help us if MArk’s suggestion doesn’t work.  Most likely it is one check box that you missed.  Tryimg a different program like photoshop or even another photos app will help show if it is an app issue or driver issue.  We are here to help.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Keith Randolph
    Keith Randolph
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: November 8, 2023 at 5:33 pm

“Colorsync radio button blackened, not Epson Color Controls”. I always have PS control color.

Photoshop Manages Color:  ALWAYS 

I did print from PS, just now and got color prints, but I prefer to print from LR when ever possible.

As I said previously, when I tried to print through EPL, I only saw a black screen where an image should have been.

Additionally, when I opened the Epson Media Installer, there were a number of paper companies listed (under Media Vendor)), but no available listing for Canson). I did download the ones I use and they are listed in LR when I softproof.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: November 8, 2023 at 5:51 pm

I print from Lr all the time, except when I need Absolute Rendering Intent for technical purposes. With the driver settings I indicated, I have not experienced problems printing from Lr. Did you try another print with these driver settings directly from Lr without using EPL?

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: November 8, 2023 at 6:21 pm

Keith, You shouldn’t be having these issues.  In EPL what are your settings in the color settings pull down at the bottom right?  Try changing paper tops at the top.  Are you on a MAC or Windows and what OS.  If you don’t get the issue solved I am happy to do a zoom call where we can share screens and see if I can help.  The Epson media installer is a real pain in the arse to use.  They are redesigning it and it should be a better tool in the not so distant future.

If you can print from PS then you should be able to do the same from LR.  There are some videos on the site here that you can watch tpo see ifthat helps.  Let me know if you want to try something a bit more like zoom.  I hope we can get your problem solved.

Kevin Raber

Keith Randolph
    Keith Randolph
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: November 9, 2023 at 2:13 pm

Thanks for the reply Mr. Raber! I would love to do a zoom call, but my workstation monitor doesn’t have that capability. (No camera or mic!) However, I do have a laptop with that capability but I have never used it to do any editing, (preferring to do editing on my workstation) but I do have LR & PS installed on it and they are working just fine. (It was needed when I took a Piezography workshop a couple years ago.) It has never been connected to either of my computers. I’m defiantly not computer whiz, but am wondering if the issue is LR itself, since I am able to correctly print via PS. I just can’t figure out why LR is behaving this way. I have the Adobe bundle so both get updated regularly. I wonder if deactivating it then re activating it might correct the problem. As for EPL, I had printed a couple images from it this past summer with no issue, but as I mentioned, I prefer to go through LR. I just now tried to find it on my computer and couldn’t find it. I went to Epson website to download it and when I went through the prompts, I stated that the latest version was already installed. But where? I don’t have an icon on my desktop (Win 10-64) and I’m not computer savvy enough to know where to look.

Keith Randolph
    Keith Randolph
    Participant
    Reply #7 on: November 9, 2023 at 4:55 pm

Ok. Now I’m feeling the fool of my age (just turned 69)! I went back in LR once again and double checked ALL my settings (this time) and when I checked Color Management at the bottom of the Print Module (I rarely need to check this since I only use a couple different papers), I noticed that I had a Piezography profile selected instead of the Canson Baryta profile. This is why the preview looked B&W instead of color. You can’t make a Piezography print except through the Quad Tone Rip (on my dedicated P800) and with the Piezo ink set. I do, however, a somewhat of a soft proof to get an idea of what it will look like. My workflow is to edit in LR then select Edit in PS to change it to Grayscale and verify size, etc. then save as a tiff for QTR into a folder that I can select from in QTR. Sound like a lot, but in reality, it’s just a couple of mouse clicks. Since I only print color with the P900, I forgot to check the Color Management. Once I changed the profile and checked the preview, all was where it should be.

I’ll go sit in the corner now…..

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #8 on: November 9, 2023 at 5:27 pm

If you don’t mind me saying so – heavy overload of software. These days printing B&W photos from Lightroom using the Epson driver, or their ABW mode if you insist, can produce lovely neutral, well-controlled B&W masterpieces. And you can tone them to taste, use all manner of presets for producing dramatic results, mix B&W with colour in the same print, etc. etc. There was a time in years past that I was all-in for certain 3rd-party apps to do B&W, but I found over the years, that between Epson and Adobe they’ve obviated the need for all that. The two key post-capture ingredients are good management of tonal gradations and the right paper for the job. Any one don’t believe me? Try it and let’s hear back what you observe – maybe in a new thread on the subject.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #9 on: November 10, 2023 at 9:53 am

Keith, you may have been a little close to the trees.  You read into what you want to see.  That setting would definitely cause an issue.  Sounds like you are back up and running and all is running well.

Kevin Raber

Keith Randolph
    Keith Randolph
    Participant
    Reply #10 on: November 10, 2023 at 1:45 pm

I may have cleared the id10-t error (for now), but be assured, I’ll try to be aware of it in the future!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.