Monitor Calibration A Most Important Step To Great Prints

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Monitor Calibration A Most Important Step To Great Prints Read 311 Times
  • Jonathan Cross
    Jonathan Cross
    Participant
    New Article Announcements & Discussions
    on: August 5, 2022 at 6:48 am

Hello,

Thanks for this very informative walkthrough video.

We have an M1 Mac which is used for LR and PS and lots of other things, like Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.  You commented, Kevin, that Mac monitors tend to be bright and that the calibration may darken the screen.  We like the screen as supplied for non-photo work, so I was not sure about darkening the screen.  I have not calibrated the monitor since buying the computer, and have relied on looking at the histogram and soft proofing  before printing.  I now know from what you showed that the profile can easily be changed in System Preferences, so will get the calibrator you used in the video and change to that profile when using LR and PS, PTGui and Helicon Focus.  When finished I will revert to the iMac default profile.

My concern has gone away; thanks.

Jonathan

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Re: Monitor Calibration A Most Important Step To Great Prints
    Reply #1 on: August 5, 2022 at 8:17 am

That is what I tend to do on my machines in my home office.. Run them a bit brighter but then pull back the brightness when switching to doing images.  YOu can leave the new calibration file running but just adjust the brightness.  Remember where the calibration brightness is though so you can turn it down when you are going to be working on photos,

The new MAcBook Pro has its own screen calibrations and I select the one for photos and turn down the brightness a bit.  I only use this Macbook screen in the field when traveling. So, I always come home and plug it into calibrated monitors  (a Ben Q 32) and then fine tune everything there.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: August 5, 2022 at 1:42 pm

Switching the Display profiles isn’t enough! You need the profile to reflect the current calibration of the display conditions. That’s the job of any ICC profile.

The beauty of smart, reference display systems like those from Eizo and NEC/SpectraView is you can have any number of calibrations for your needs (think multiple print conditions) and switch on the fly both the calibration and its resulting profiles. The calibration takes place in the panels and the panels electronics then load what calibration targets you’ve measured, and its associated display profile.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Jonathan Cross
    Jonathan Cross
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: August 6, 2022 at 2:34 am

Hello Andrew,

I agree with you, but, in my situation, it is a case of can I justify the expense. I do not do enough prints that require critical appraisal, nor do I have the space for a second monitor, so will pass on a reference display.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.