Mike Broomfield Article and Silo City Workshop

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Mike Broomfield Article and Silo City Workshop Read 16167 Times
  • Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Landscape & Nature Technique
    on: June 4, 2020 at 9:01 am

Great article Mike and really successful, attractive photographs. Well done.

Such a workshop would be very accessible to me; however, I am not convinced it will be possible – due mainly to the management of the pandemic. New York State has been far more successful than Ontario at getting the curve down. Still new cases there, but far more worrisome – Ontario is stuck in a trendless range of between 300-400 new cases every day, it has been suggested in part due to insufficiently effective management of the lock-down. As well, the publication of certain kinds of data that would more clearly situate the evolution of the disease in Ontario is deficient. Under the circumstances, it isn’t possible to predict when the Canada-US border will be re-opened to non-essential travel, and that determines when Canadians will be able to attend ANY photography events in the USA for some indeterminate time into the future. It is most unfortunate.

But back to photography – superb photos Mike.

Mike Broomfield
    Mike Broomfield
    Silver Member
    Re: Mike Broomfield Article and Silo City Workshop
    Reply #1 on: June 5, 2020 at 1:46 pm

Hi Mark,

Thank you very much for your comments.  I’m glad you like both the article and images.

The old grain silos and buildings are terrific places for artistic images of old industry and it’s a darn shame that the border remains closed  (for good reasons of course).  I only found out this a few days ago when I read something in the news and realized I would not need to take my passport on my next visit in case I wanted to cross.

I will post a few images from the next trip and in the mean time here’s a link to the images (only) from a book I put together a couple of years ago.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMiX-8wbitRWZwiMb0EEOe7YZhtE6XzsJ25A0q-uv9CPXui7hBr7yiY8moZPpFZBg?key=Q18yX1VZbHN1Z3FvaUdlQ3JjRHRQNnc4NEtwSWNB

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: June 5, 2020 at 3:51 pm

Thanks Mike. That’s a tremendous collection of good photos. Did you publish the book, or had a copy made for your own collection?

When travel opens again and you are looking for good rusty photo ops, I can recommend the Landschaftspark in Duisburg-Nord, Germany. I haven’t posted anything from my visit there last November – in fact redesigning and updating my website is a whole other project I’ve been postponing year after year, but one of these days……..the photos I’ve seen of it on the internet give some idea, but don’t reveal the real richness of the photo opportunities there.

While on the subject of traveling – since 9/11 of course passports have become essential both ways for everyone. I remember back in the 1950s/60s we could cross the little bridge connecting the downtowns of both Niagara Falls cities with nothing – it was prudent to carry a driver’s license or a health card, but those days are long gone; it’s passports or no go. Indeed very sad.

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: June 5, 2020 at 4:36 pm

Great work, Mike. Are you a member of any UrbEx groups?

And Mark, yes, I remember visiting Niagara Falls, NY and back maybe 25 years ago by walking over the bridge with only a driver’s license.

Mike.

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

Mike Broomfield
    Mike Broomfield
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: June 7, 2020 at 5:53 am

Thanks for the pointer Mark.  Always looking for places to go, although aside from a couple of teen/twenties visits I’ve not been to mainland Europe (I visit the UK most years though to see family).

I also recall friends telling me soon after I moved to the US in ’85 that the US/Canada border was pretty porous.  I’ve only ventured over it once to attend a printing workshop at Michael Reichmann’s studio many, many years ago.

The book was self published, in fact printed by a guy I met at one of the workshop’s who is CEO of a printing company.  Most copies languish behind the bar at Silo City.  At the workshop I leave a copy available for attendees to page through and describe or take them to any locations of interest.

Mike, thanks for your comments.  No I don’t belong to any Urbex groups although I may reconsider that at some points as the easily accessible abandoned places close to me are drying up (renovated, torn down or fenced).

Mike

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: June 7, 2020 at 8:24 am

Mike B. – We probably came across each other those many years ago because I attended both of those workshops at Michael Reichmann’s studio. They were unique opportunities because he only held onto that studio space for several years and hosted some superb events while he had it.

Mike Broomfield
    Mike Broomfield
    Silver Member
    Reply #6 on: June 8, 2020 at 12:45 pm

I remember it well.  I took photos for him to review and he cured me of my belief that I was composing perfectly in camera when he converted a horizontal shot to a (much better) vertical composition.  I now have no fear of cropping and I’m a much better photographer for it (or maybe editor) …

Mike Broomfield
    Mike Broomfield
    Silver Member
    Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020 at 1:41 pm

I mentioned above that I’d post a few images after the latest workshop which finished the week before last.

Elevator guts

Elevator-guts

Reflective Silouette (after Gormley’s Sound II in Winchester Cathedral)

Reflective-silouette

Rope machine

Rope-machine

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020 at 1:46 pm

Great photos Mike. If you like this stuff, you would also enjoy photographing the old Krupp iron works at the Deutsche Landschaftpark in Duisberg-Nord. I did this last November during a trip to France and Germany. It’s very accessible and photogenic. Ah, the old days, when we could travel……..

Mike Broomfield
    Mike Broomfield
    Silver Member
    Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020 at 2:40 pm

Thanks Mark.

I’ve had to cancel 2 trips this year, one costing money due to partial refunds.  Not likely I’ll be back to the UK this year either to see family, nor get up to Nova Scotia which I’ve been wanting to do for quite some time.

A few more;

Lathe reflection

Lathe-reflection

Down the Line

R315701-HDR

Old Metal

A742086

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #10 on: August 17, 2020 at 2:54 pm

Superb. I especially like the B&W rendition.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #11 on: August 17, 2020 at 10:59 pm

Great set of images.  Makes me miss the place.  Once all this pandemic stuff is behind us I will visit there again.  Great images.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.