Mexican Hat in the Rain

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Mexican Hat in the Rain Read 1257 Times
  • David Eckels
    David Eckels
    Silver Member
    Landscape & Nature Photography
    on: February 5, 2021 at 8:00 pm

This image had given me fits in post. Could not darken the sky and bring out some of the texture without creating a very noticeable halo at the very edge of the rock. Looked almost like a very bright outline even with careful masking and could only be addressed unsatisfactorily by tedious cloning and painting. I really like the photograph and it memorializes a photo trip my dad and I took a few years ago. So,I decided to try the new “sky select” in PS along with only using the Dehaze slider and a few techniques from Tony Kuyper and Sean Bagshaw. Finally got it the way I wanted it/knew it could be. Looks great as a print!

Mexican-Hat-in-the-Rain

David
    Website and blog: www.DavidEckelsPhotography.com

• This topic was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by David Eckels.
    Paul Sokal
    Paul Sokal
    Silver Member
    Re: Mexican Hat in the Rain
    Reply #1 on: February 5, 2021 at 9:29 pm

What Raw processor did you use? Halo issues are why I switched to Capture One from Adobe products and I’ve never regretted it

David Eckels
    David Eckels
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: February 6, 2021 at 11:03 am

I use LR Classic, Paul. There’s a lot of inertia to overcome if I switched to C1. I also like the LR catalog system. With careful listening to Jeff Schewe and others, I am learning to get the results I envision from the tools I have available. I’ve always figured it was my deficiency in using those tools that created problems and I have to say I think the result above would be consistent with this conclusion. That’s not to say there aren’t better/more sophisticated tools out there.

On a side note, I did try C1 a few years ago and probably lacked the sophistication to see much difference in rendering for PS.

By the way, the test print came out fabulous to me! Oh, I said that already! 😉

David

Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Reply #3 on: February 6, 2021 at 3:06 pm

I think you’ve done an excellent job, David. I’d like to see the “hat” a little brighter against the dark sky, but given all that you’ve written I suspect I’d better not ask!

I am in exactly the same position as you regarding LR and C1. I wonder if the new(ish) Luminar AI could have helped you here: it’s supposed to be very good at sky selections.

Jeremy

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: February 6, 2021 at 7:49 pm

Isn’t it fun to find a challenging image that takes time and experimentation to get it the way you like it.  There are so many good tools available today to help us get what we want.  Pretty cool image Dave.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

David Eckels
    David Eckels
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: February 7, 2021 at 11:02 am

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Jeremy, LOL, I tried lightening the underside of the hat, but it didn’t look quite “natural” to me even though there is detail in there, but you can’t really see it in this down  sampled image. Looked a Luminar online, but gees I’m still learning new things with LR.

Kevin, thanks, you’ve touched exactly on what I love about photography. The larger print is stunning, if I do say so myself. BTW, doing a workshop in Joshua Tree NP with Alain next month. Greenland will have to wait, bit it is on my bucket list!

David

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.