Masking

Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Masking Read 312 Times
  • Christopher Sanderson
    Christopher Sanderson
    Gold Member
    Adobe Lightroom & Adobe Camera Raw
    on: September 30, 2021 at 3:33 pm

New feature in Lightroom, in a month’s time. Interesting, and rather exciting if it works as well as in the video.
    Masking

• This topic was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Christopher Sanderson. Reason: Originally posted by Jeremy Roussak
    Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: Masking
    Reply #1 on: September 30, 2021 at 4:48 pm

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Chris. Unfortunately I can’t take advantage of it until I buy a new computer because I can’t upgrade beyond High Sierra because my video card can’t support higher and the card can’t be upgraded without collateral technical issues elsewhere in the system. This is what “technological obsolescence” means and it always manifests itself as new software taking advantage of new hardware capabilities, inherently not backward compatible. So in my case, and perhaps applicable to others in the same position, this will wait for the new computer, whenever. Setting all that aside, this looks fabulous if it works as advertised, and presumably they’ve tested it enough to have confidence that on the whole it will. One thing not mentioned in the article or the video is how well it handle selection edges. Right now that is the bane of making selections in Lightroom. Selection edges should be seamless but particularly with the brush tool it’s not always easy to produce them as such.

Mark D Segal Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8, SilverFast HDR, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop". Please check the PhotoPXL Store for availability.

Christopher Sanderson
    Christopher Sanderson
    Gold Member
    Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021 at 5:03 pm

Yes, Photoshop selections & masking (as shown by Charlie Cramer), have been streets ahead of anything in ACR or LR in this regard. Generally I can make the selection edge reasonable by fine tuning the mask and the feathering but it has always felt like a bit of a kludge compared to PS. This AI method will save tons of time and eliminate most round-tripping/smart object creation. The luminance mask ability alone will be great.

Christopher Sanderson
    Christopher Sanderson
    Gold Member
    Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021 at 5:08 pm

BTW I don’t think you have to buy a new machine, just one that has recent OS capability. Plenty of good used ones at MacDoc (Canada)

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: October 1, 2021 at 4:56 pm

Hi Christopher, needless to say I have researched this computer business extensively. The OS upgrade is related to the graphics card. Unless one’s graphics card is a generation more recent than the one I have and supports “Metal”, one cannot upgrade a Mac OS beyond High Sierra, and that cuts out all the most recent upgrades of Adobe software which require a Metal enabled graphics card and no longer support High Sierra. It’s a closed loop of exclusions working between hardware/OS/software. OWC provides one graphics card that is somewhat compatible with my mid-2010 MacPro, but it has several drawbacks that preclude me from relying on it. So really, there is no sensible upgrade path for me other than buying a new computer. After 11 years the time has come – not surprising huh? The machine I’m using remains quite a powerful one with 24 virtual cores and 24 GB RAM, and has been serving me well and reliably. The only push-factor for replacing it is the demands of the latest software with the new features that look attractive. I reached out for highly qualified advice on what to buy next and I was advised to opt for a Mac with the new Silicon architecture, because that will be the future for computing and imaging in the Mac environment. I want to get a MacPro, but a Silicon model will not be available for, it is thought, well into 2022. Anyhow, no real panic, I’m managing quite alright with what I have, but it will be nice when upgrade time finally becomes feasible.

Mark D Segal Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8, SilverFast HDR, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop". Please check the PhotoPXL Store for availability.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.