Martin Evening has passed away…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Martin Evening has passed away… Read 480 Times
  • Jeff Schewe
    Jeff Schewe
    Gold Member
    PXL News
    on: December 14, 2022 at 4:19 am

Reposted from my Facebook page:

————————————

It is with a heavy heart that we must pass along notification of the passing of Martin Evening, noted photographer, author and teacher, this past weekend due to complications from cancer. Martin leaves behind his wife Camilla and daughter Angelica and a host of friends and fans all over the world.

Martin had a 25-year career as a London based, award-winning portrait, beauty, and advertising photographer and worked with some of the biggest names in hairdressing. In the 1990’s Martin turned to digital imaging. He was an early pioneer in computer retouching and was an early adopter of Photoshop and was a respected alpha and beta tester for Adobe for many years.

His expertise in photo imaging led him to share his knowledge by writing over 30 books on digital imaging and photography and became a noted speaker at major international conferences.

In 2008 Martin was inducted into the Photoshop Hall of Fame in recognition as a respected leader in the industry and his contributions to the advancement and development of Photoshop.

Martin was also a founding partner in a software company called Pixel Genius and was product manager lead creator for the product named PhotoKit Color, an award-winning Photoshop plug-in.

After retiring from commercial shooting, he and his family moved to the English countryside where he devoted more time to landscape photography and personal work and being a loving husband and father.

Martin had quietly battled cancer for several years and had no regrets. He was 63 years old.

In May of 2021, Martin taped a video presentation for the Art of Photography Conference titled; The Hits and Misses of a Creative Career which is available on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/UrUZ57En5TE

Martin wanted to pass along a final quote…

“When I reflect back as to why my books sold so well. I don’t think it was because I was particularly smart. Sure, I was clever enough to write informatively, but this never came as easy to me as it did for others. I think the fact I nearly always found it a struggle to make sense of complicated concepts, and seek ways to explain them more clearly, was something that resonated with my readers and made my books successful.”

Humble to the end…

On a personal note, Martin and I became good friends because of our love of photography and passion for Photoshop. We were introduced by Photoshop engineer Marc Pawliger because Martin had started work on a book titled: “Photoshop for Photographers”. Marc knew I was also working on a book with that same working title and warned Martin. Martin very politely asked me about my plans for a book and if I was going to use the title…my book had hit a snag with the publisher and was destined to be cancelled so I told Martin that I would be pleased to let him use the title and wished him well on his endeavor. His book was a tremendous success and has helped many people learn Photoshop. So it was with delicious irony that years later we would team up to coauthor Photoshop for Photographers: Ultimate Workshop.

Martin and I had the chance to shoot together many times. We had exciting photo adventures in Scotland and the American Southwest, and I visited him many times in London. He visited the states many times for conferences where we spoke together. He also traveled to Chicago many times when we collaborated on Pixel Genius and our books.

I found Martin to be an extraordinarily kind and generous person. He was the son of missionary and preacher and spoke in soft tones and never had a mean thing to say about anybody. He was truly smitten by his wife Camilla having met her while hiring her as a makeup artist for so many beauty photo shoots.

My wife and I first met Camilla on a trip to Seattle for a Photoshop conference. We got to know one another during an eventful wine tasting tour organized by our good friend Greg Gorman. She fit right in with the “Pixel Mafia”. I photographed their “secret” wedding when they eloped during a Photo Expo conference in New York City in 2005. Later I had the opportunity to meet their daughter in 2007 when we again got together in New York City for another conference and a Pixel Genius company meeting.

Martin was a good writing and business partner and loyal friend, loving husband, and father. As they say in the Photoshop credits, he is “gone but not forgotten”.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Re: Martin Evening has passed away…
    Reply #1 on: December 14, 2022 at 9:45 am

Thank you for posting this here, Jeff.  Martin was one of a kind.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Reply #2 on: December 14, 2022 at 11:55 am

I’m sad to hear that. I never met him, but I have a couple of his books on the shelves behind me. He wrote well.

Jeremy

Christopher Sanderson
    Christopher Sanderson
    Gold Member
    Reply #3 on: December 14, 2022 at 1:31 pm

Jeff, I am very sorry to hear of Martin’s passing and your loss. Your post does Martin proud.

Chris

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: December 16, 2022 at 8:57 pm

I am so saddened to read of Martin’s passing. I had met Martin at several Photoshop conferences, and I can confirm Jeff that everything you say about his character is so true. Just the other day I was wondering whether there would be an update to his latest Lightroom Classic book, which remains the premiere reference on the subject. Sadly, we now know the answer to that. I much appreciated that Martin was truly helpful to his readers and followers; he was never too busy to lend a hand . We will all miss him very much both as a person and an expert in this field.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.