Mark Segal’s review of Canon Baryta Photographique II

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Mark Segal’s review of Canon Baryta Photographique II Read 656 Times
  • Daniel Koretz
    Daniel Koretz
    Participant
    Papers & Media
    on: September 25, 2020 at 12:25 pm

Mark,

Thanks for the helpful review. Your findings confirm the impressions I had when testing this informally. The original Canson Baryta Photographique was my most used paper, and I had hoped to use this as a replacement. My impression after a lot of fussing was that in all respects but two, this was very similar to the original. In fact, it’s so similar that Canson says one can use the same profile for it. Those two differences are the handling and the surface. You wrote: “My overall recommendation is that if you like the finish, it’s a very good paper.” While it’s a matter of taste, I unfortunately found that I don’t like the finish.

You wrote that you think the change was because of unavailability of one of the chemicals used in the coating. That’s not what a Canson rep wrote to me. He wrote that the problem was new equipment that they installed in part to allow the production of wider rolls:

“The truth is that we were not actually planning a full relaunch, only revamping some of the manufacturing coating equipment.  In that process we were unable to exactly replicate the satin finish from the old Baryta Photographique equipment.”

Whatever the reason for the change, I wish it hadn’t been made.

Dan

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: Mark Segal’s review of Canon Baryta Photographique II
    Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020 at 1:07 pm

Dan, I had also heard the story about machinery replacement but I heard the one about the chemistry more often; so thinking a machinery issue can be fixed, I tended to chemicals story – who knows maybe there’s truth in both, and like you, I wish it hadn’t happened. I also miss those papers.

Mark D Segal Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8, SilverFast HDR, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop". Please check the PhotoPXL Store for availability.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.