Macbook Pro Monitor Calibration

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Macbook Pro Monitor Calibration Read 378 Times
  • John Hollenberg
    John Hollenberg
    Participant
    Printing Colour Management
    on: July 21, 2022 at 11:43 am

I have a friend who has a 2019 Macbook Pro and an Epson P900 printer.  Since I know nothing about Macs (Windows guy with NEC monitor with Spectraview), I am seeking advice on calibrating her monitor.  She is an amateur photographer with a good artistic eye.  She has Lightroom Classic and is just starting to learn how to use it. Here are a few questions:

1) Can the Macbook Pro be calibrated/profiled sufficiently to provide a good screen to print match?  If so, what hardware/software do you recommend?

2) Would she be better off getting an external monitor that could be better profiled (as well as providing a larger screen)?  If so, what monitor would you recommend?  My guess is that she would be willing to spend up to $1,000 to $1500 for external monitor if that is a much better solution?

Simon Simpson
    Simon Simpson
    Participant
    Re: Macbook Pro Monitor Calibration
    Reply #1 on: July 23, 2022 at 4:16 am

1)  Your friend’s MackBook can be profiled to provide an excellent screen to print match.  Apple’s factory profile is pretty good but for critical work profiling on a regular basis is a good idea.  I would recommend the Calibrite ColorChecker Studio.  It can profile monitors, printers, and projectors.  I have an earlier incarnation, a ColorMunki, which has given me excellent service.  It is very flexible and is worth the money.  I can recommend it.

2)  You don’t say what size screen the MacBook Pro has.  I have a 13 inch MacBook Pro and a 27 inch iMac.  It is possible to edit on a small screen, but it is difficult; and I leave my important and final edits until I can access the iMac.  You are probably better placed to advise her on an external monitor than I.  NEC are certainly very good (I had one in the past), but expensive.  If your friend has the money it is probably best to over-invest now in order to future-proof your photography; otherwise you might buy something inexpensive and then have to upgrade later.  A good size monitor (the biggest you can afford) is a good investment.

I hope this helps.

John Hollenberg
    John Hollenberg
    Participant
    Re: Macbook Pro Monitor Calibration
    Reply #2 on: July 23, 2022 at 8:43 am

Very helpful Simon.  Thank you.  I will present her with the options.  I think her MacBook is about 16 inches (guessing from visual).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.