Lumariver Repro, or Basiccolor Input 6 Pro?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Lumariver Repro, or Basiccolor Input 6 Pro? Read 1703 Times
  • R Lowery
    R Lowery
    Participant
    Printing Colour Management
    on: April 30, 2021 at 11:55 am

Looking for input from folks who have used one or both Lumariver Repro and / or Basiccolor Input 6 Pro. I do very color critical reproduction of fine art. Just looking for a tool to help me out, speed up my process. I primarily use Adobe Camera Raw, Photoshop and Capture One.

Significant price difference between these 2 softwares, Lumariver Repro coming in near $300. Basiccolor Input 6 Pro is $800. I read Capture One users may have issues with Basiccolor profiles, but that could be a previous version. After reading and watching some reviews, leaning towards Lumariver. Willing to pay, but not sure Basiccolor Input 6 Pro offers any big advantage over Lumariver, but am willing to be convinced otherwise. I have used Basiccolor’s display calibration product and it is outstanding.

Preferences?

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Re: Lumariver Repro, or Basiccolor Input 6 Pro?
    Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021 at 12:33 pm

I can’t comment at all on Basiccolor Input 6 Pro but I can say, I purchased and have no objections or issues with Lumariver. Depending on your needs, you can save $500 and produce very good profiles.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Christopher Campbell
    Christopher Campbell
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: May 1, 2021 at 12:04 pm

I also do color-critical fine art reproduction work (I’m primarily a painter, and only secondarily a photographer). I’ve used basICColor input for a number of years, and frequently assist the developer, Franz Herbert, with beta-testing, so I’m not really a neutral observer. I do, however, think that input Pro 6 is superb, and I use it to build both .dcp profiles for Lightroom/ACR, and .icc profiles for Capture One of essentially equal quality. I have not used Lumariver, and so can’t compare them. I have emailed Franz to alert him to this thread, as there is a much less expensive version of input 6 that might be entirely suitable to your needs.

R Lowery
    R Lowery
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021 at 4:42 pm

Thank you for the follow-up, Chris. Your work is outstanding, and your video on capture of 2-D artwork is among the best I’ve seen.

To update, my decision has been greatly influenced by the ineffective means Basiccolor has in place for one to purchase and license the their software. I tried Basiccolor Display 6, and found it excellent in the trial version. Unfortunately, after purchasing the license (from a third party, which is in itself bizarre that the company doesn’t sell their own software), the software will not activate. Apparently the solution was to change my email in the license window to the email used when purchasing, but after doing so it also does not allow me to even type in the TANF, or any other characters, and the software crashes now.
    If they wonder why the software, while very good, at least the Display 6 I tried, is not very popular, perhaps it is because they make it very difficult to purchase and activate a license. At this point I’m glad I’m only out the $85 for the non-functional Basiccolor Display 6, and not the $800 for Basiccolor Input 6 Pro, and no way can I recommend anyone purchase this software, or any software from this vendor until they improve their purchase / licensing procedure. Hoping I get Display 6 activated at some point. Otherwise I’m back to NEC Spectraview.

After doing extensive research, Basiccolor Input 6 Pro looked like the better option vs. Lumariver for my workflow of creating highly accurate reproductions of paintings and artwork. The price is not unreasonable. But the licensing experience with Basiccolor has put me off considerably.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by R Lowery.
    R Lowery
    R Lowery
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021 at 5:12 pm

I also do color-critical fine art reproduction work (I’m primarily a painter, and only secondarily a photographer). I’ve used basICColor input for a number of years, and frequently assist the developer, Franz Herbert, with beta-testing, so I’m not really a neutral observer. I do, however, think that input Pro 6 is superb, and I use it to build both .dcp profiles for Lightroom/ACR, and .icc profiles for Capture One of essentially equal quality. I have not used Lumariver, and so can’t compare them. I have emailed Franz to alert him to this thread, as there is a much less expensive version of input 6 that might be entirely suitable to your needs.

Thank you for the follow-up, Chris. Your work is outstanding, and your video on capture of 2-D artwork is among the best I’ve seen.

To update, my decision has been greatly influenced by the ineffective means Basiccolor has in place for one to purchase and license the their software. I tried Basiccolor Display 6, and found it excellent in the trial version. Unfortunately, after purchasing the license (from a third party, which is in itself bizarre that the company doesn’t sell their own software), the software will not activate. Apparently the solution was to change my email in the license window to the email used when purchasing, but after doing so it also does not allow me to even type in the TANF, or any other characters, and the software crashes now.
    If they wonder why the software, while very good, at least the Display 6 I tried, is not very popular, perhaps it is because they make it very difficult to purchase and activate a license. At this point I’m glad I’m only out the $85 for the non-functional Basiccolor Display 6, and not the $800 for Basiccolor Input 6 Pro, and no way can I recommend anyone purchase this software, or any software from this vendor until they improve their purchase / licensing procedure. Hoping I get Display 6 activated at some point. Otherwise I’m back to NEC Spectraview.

After doing extensive research, Basiccolor Input 6 Pro looked like the better option vs. Lumariver for my workflow of creating highly accurate reproductions of paintings and artwork. The price is not unreasonable. But the licensing experience with Basiccolor has put me off considerably.

R Lowery
    R Lowery
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021 at 4:10 am

After sending a support email to basiccolor, I received a response at around 3:30am EDT, which I believe is pretty much first thing in the morning in Germany. It appears the licensing issue is sorted for basiccolor display. The licensing procedure leaves much to be desired, but basiccolor addressed the issue lightning fast, and you can’t ask for more than that. And it really is a fantastic, useful piece of software. I think I would be comfortable dropping $800 for basiccolor input 6 pro. I’m going to give the 14 day trial a run through for it as well.

Scott Martin
    Scott Martin
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: June 26, 2021 at 2:54 pm

Well I’d say the landscape of camera profile has gotten a bit more complex since this thread was started. Lumariver Repro, Input6 and SpectraCore Camera Profiler (SCCP) are the 3 main options to consider. The licensing differences are quite complex but worth digging into if you are interested in making profiles for others. IMO, Input6 is the most mature and refined of these 3 products. It’s nice to use and has tons of great features. SCCP, however produces the lowest ∆E values and recently introduced DCP proifling in addition to ICC Profiles. Ultimately are you looking for cheap, good enough, easy to use or top notch quality? And at what price point with what profile licensing options?  Either way you do this you’ll be getting great results, but your ∆E metrics may vary. Is Max∆E 3.0 meaningfully better than Max∆E4.5 or are you more concerned with average ∆E?…

Image Science for Art

www.on-sight.com

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.