Losing pop when enlarging a print from letter size to 11×17

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Losing pop when enlarging a print from letter size to 11×17 Read 282 Times
  • Tony Siciliano
    Tony Siciliano
    Participant
    Adobe Photoshop & Pixel Editing Applications
    on: March 1, 2023 at 1:42 am

I am in the process of making a portfolio of my landscape photos to give to my children. I picked 20 of my favorites and spent a lot of time on each one re editing, soft-proofing, and making multiple letter sized prints until I get one that seems perfect to me. I am using LR and Photoshop and printing on an Epson P900 using Moab Entrada Natural, a relatively smooth matte paper. I made my first jump up in size today from a letter sized print to a 9×13 (on 11×17 paper) and I see some obvious changes in contrast, saturation and brightness. It’s as if I clicked Soft Proof again and the “pop” of the photo diminished slightly. Much subtler than jumping from a monitor photo to a soft proofed matte finish, but there nonetheless. So I am back to square one with the photo, which will need new changes in whites, blacks, contrast, etc. to retain the look of the letter sized print. However this time I am printing on larger paper and the ink use and cost of paper will add up since I am a perfectionist and will undoubtedly have to make several tries to get the larger prints look the way I want. Any workflow suggestions to keep the cost down and avoid making 2-4 large prints to get it right? Or is this just the way it is making quality larger prints? Thanks!!

• This topic was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Tony Siciliano.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Kevin Raber.
    Dan Berg
    Dan Berg
    Participant
    Re: Losing pop when enlarging a print from letter size to 11×17
    Reply #1 on: May 24, 2024 at 11:21 am

What file size did you start with?

Dan Berg
    www.bergsprintstudio.com

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Re: Losing pop when enlarging a print from letter size to 11×17
    Reply #2 on: May 25, 2024 at 11:18 am

This is to be expected, depending on the image and when all other attributes than size is considered. In the old days, it wasn’t uncommon to add a bit of Vibrance or “Clarity” to images that output much larger than a smaller print. Maybe output a small area of a larger image with a slight increase in the above to gauge what should be a slight output specific edit.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.