Just Published – How To Store and Protect Your Data and Images At Home

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Just Published – How To Store and Protect Your Data and Images At Home Read 540 Times
  • Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    New Article Announcements & Discussions
    on: July 7, 2020 at 3:42 pm

Ignacio Palacios shared an article with us today.  How To Store and Protect Your Data and Images At Home.  This is a relevant and timeless topic that everyone should pay attention to.  all of us (I hope) have our own backup plans and systems in place.  If you don’t pay attention to Ignacio’s article as he has some good ideas as well as resources.  Please add your feedback and ideas here.  There is no right way to do this other than to do something to make sure you are backed up.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Hugh Sakols
    Hugh Sakols
    Silver Member
    Re: Just Published – How To Store and Protect Your Data and Images At Home
    Reply #1 on: July 8, 2020 at 1:54 pm

Thanks for getting us all to think about our backup strategy.  I’ve been meaning to ask about this as well.  I’d also like to hear from others to find the best budget solution perfect for the amateur photographer.  At this point, cloud backup is not an option because I live in a rural area that does not have the most reliable or fast internet.

My setup consists of a MacBook Pro and three external hard drives. When I’m at home I work from my main drive, a LaCie 6 TB and then I use Super Duper and clone it to two other drives.  I also try to keep an external drive off-site, but it gets updated less frequently.  This system is not the fastest especially when playing with large PSD files, but I like the fact that If something happens to my laptop, it does not disrupt my system at home.  I also just work from one Lightroom catalog that contains my entire collection of images.  I find that I’m constantly working with or looking for images that I made many years ago.

Now I’m getting to the point, once again, to expand my storage.  What about getting a docking station over the NAS.  I’m not using multiple devices and I don’t know if a NAS would be any faster?  And lastly, should I really be using a RAID configuration?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.