Jan Bell Hits the Spot

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Jan Bell Hits the Spot Read 334 Times
  • Mark Crean
    Mark Crean
    Participant
    New Article Announcements & Discussions
    on: January 3, 2023 at 8:58 am

Just wanted to say how much I appreciate Jan Bell’s essay. While I shoot slightly different subject matter, his whole approach to photography and interpreting the image, and his love of black and white,  really resonates with me. Best wishes for a full return to walking those trails!

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: Jan Bell Hits the Spot
    Reply #1 on: January 3, 2023 at 12:14 pm

I agree. More than that, I think this is one of the best articles on creative photography that PhotoPXL has published to date. The distinction made between what is “fine art” photography and what is not is succinct and well put. The contribution of well-done Black and White imagery is well stated and beautifully illustrated in the magnificent photos presented here. I agree with Jan’s philosophy regarding photographic composition and interpretation. One need not, and in many cases, should not confine oneself to the view of a scene at the moment of capture. There is often much scope for construction and adjustment that makes photographic sense and better conveys the emotion and inherent beauty of a scene. Whether one works primarily with Lightroom or Photoshop I think is an input consideration, the choice depending on what one is comfortable with, and what tools are needed to achieve an objective. Finally, I agree with Jan’s comment re Hemlock Printers in Vancouver Canada. I published a book with them (“Paint the City Black” which I wrote-up for this website). They are technically excellent, and truly most helpful people to work with. I bought a copy of Jan’s book, and highly recommend it.

Peter McCabe
    Peter McCabe
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: January 6, 2023 at 1:26 pm

Likely my favourite article to date on PhotoPXL. Well written and interesting to read his thoughts. A trip to his website was a wonderful way to spend a half an hour.

Best Regards

Peter

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: January 7, 2023 at 10:20 am

For more from Jan Bell and an interview please type Jan Bell into the search bar on the main page.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Reply #4 on: January 8, 2023 at 2:21 pm

I too enjoyed the article very much. It struck several chords with me.

Jeremy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.