In the surf

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Topic: In the surf Read 899 Times
  • Ken Rennie
    Ken Rennie
    Participant
    Landscape & Nature Photography
    on: August 5, 2019 at 2:53 pm

I spent a happy 30 minutes watching the waves tossing this wave-worn bough around before I decided that getting close and wet might get me a decent image.DSC8697-1

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Re: In the surf
    Reply #1 on: August 5, 2019 at 4:04 pm

Well done, good exposure, difficult conditions.  I like the way the water flows off of the wood.  This image made me stop and look at it for a while.  That is a good sign for a shot well executed.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Paulo Bizarro
    Paulo Bizarro
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: August 6, 2019 at 9:29 am

Well done.

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: August 6, 2019 at 9:49 pm

Well worth the water, Ken. Did you use an ND filter or multiple exposures?

Mike.

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

Ken Rennie
    Ken Rennie
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: August 7, 2019 at 6:39 am

Well worth the water, Ken. Did you use an ND filter or multiple exposures?

Mike.

Mike I used a 6 stop Lee ND filter and a Kase polariser. I prefer the look of ND filters over blended multiple shots, colour casts aren’t really a problem especially here where I have gone for a sunlit blue sky look where it was a dull overcast day and I was in the shade of high cliffs. Ken

Andrew Molitor
    Andrew Molitor
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: August 7, 2019 at 10:09 am

I could go on endlessly about the technical properties, of course. This is a beautiful picture, with a lot of technique and taste on display.

What do I see? I see a beautifully lit piece of driftwood, clearly delineated, its textures revealed in a very appealing way. I also see water, a long exposure revealing its shape, and its motion. I see the static form of the driftwood juxtaposed with the motion of the water. All these things are obvious to anyone who looks, of course.

The photo does not seem to be about the wood, or the water, but perhaps something to do with the pairing of them, perhaps their relationship to one another?

What is missing? I can’t tell how you feel about these things. I don’t quite know what you’re trying to tell to, to show me.

Weston would have tried to show me the soul of the wood, or something. Adams would have been struggling to revealing his incoherent and vast love for these objects. I’m not getting that here, the whole thing feels a little sterile, a little like a very well executed exercise.

To be fair, getting past this sort of thing is terribly difficult, and many people simply don’t see the point. And more power to ’em, if it satisfies you to make beautiful photographs that are maybe not profound emotional journeys, that is ok with me.

Ken Rennie
    Ken Rennie
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: August 7, 2019 at 2:00 pm

I could go on endlessly about the technical properties, of course. This is a beautiful picture, with a lot of technique and taste on display.

What do I see? I see a beautifully lit piece of driftwood, clearly delineated, its textures revealed in a very appealing way. I also see water, a long exposure revealing its shape, and its motion. I see the static form of the driftwood juxtaposed with the motion of the water. All these things are obvious to anyone who looks, of course.

The photo does not seem to be about the wood, or the water, but perhaps something to do with the pairing of them, perhaps their relationship to one another?

What is missing? I can’t tell how you feel about these things. I don’t quite know what you’re trying to tell to, to show me.

Weston would have tried to show me the soul of the wood, or something. Adams would have been struggling to revealing his incoherent and vast love for these objects. I’m not getting that here, the whole thing feels a little sterile, a little like a very well executed exercise.

To be fair, getting past this sort of thing is terribly difficult, and many people simply don’t see the point. And more power to ’em, if it satisfies you to make beautiful photographs that are maybe not profound emotional journeys, that is ok with me.

Andrew I will have to think about what you have said. I do tend to try and produce beautiful photographs and if you like this was an exercise in shooting the backwash and how it interacted with the solid object. I doubt that I was thinking beyond what shutter speed produces the nicest texture and shapes?, how low can I get without the camera getting wrecked?, can I get this shot or do I need to run up the beach? focal length and distance from object? I don’t often get the chance to be in conditions like this, perhaps with experience I will not need to think about the about and get on with taking images. Ken

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.