In the bleak midwinter

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Topic: In the bleak midwinter Read 218 Times
  • Ken Rennie
    Ken Rennie
    Participant
    Landscape & Nature Photography
    on: August 28, 2019 at 6:56 pm

We don’t often get snow here but 2 winters ago was an exception. This forced me to take images from within walking distance of my house. Taken during a snowstorm I hadn’t realised just how snow minimised distractions until I saw the image on a monitor. I also didn’t realise the effect of shutter speeds on the image. I should have walked down closer to the trees and will probably have to wait several years before we get conditions like this again. Ken

Attachments:
    Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Keymaster
    Re: In the bleak midwinter
    Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019 at 11:09 pm

I love snowy dat photos. Well done. I have a series I will publish soon in snow like this. The light and tonality takes on a special feel.

Kevin Raber
    CEO & Publisher of PhotoPXL.com and Rockhopperworkshops.com

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Re: In the bleak midwinter
    Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019 at 3:33 pm

Beautiful work. Snow does wonderful things to light.

When I was a kid living in southern Manitoba and then eastern Quebec, we’d get 6+ feet of snow every year. When working as an environmental consultant for a pipeline construction job in northern Ontario, if the thermometer was below -35 deg C at 7:00 a.m. they’d shut down because the equipment would freeze up, but if it was -32 and the windchill was -60 or less, it was a regular 12-hour day.

Here in Victoria we get a really good winter every ten years or so. I’d like to say I miss it, but I really don’t. I can always go up island to Mount Washington if I feel a burning need to get the snowshoes out of the basement. 🙂

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.