In the bleak midwinter

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Topic: In the bleak midwinter Read 928 Times
  • Ken Rennie
    Ken Rennie
    Participant
    Landscape & Nature Photography
    on: August 28, 2019 at 6:56 pm

We don’t often get snow here but 2 winters ago was an exception. This forced me to take images from within walking distance of my house. Taken during a snowstorm I hadn’t realised just how snow minimised distractions until I saw the image on a monitor. I also didn’t realise the effect of shutter speeds on the image. I should have walked down closer to the trees and will probably have to wait several years before we get conditions like this again. Ken

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Re: In the bleak midwinter
    Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019 at 11:09 pm

I love snowy dat photos. Well done. I have a series I will publish soon in snow like this. The light and tonality takes on a special feel.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Re: In the bleak midwinter
    Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019 at 3:33 pm

Beautiful work. Snow does wonderful things to light.

When I was a kid living in southern Manitoba and then eastern Quebec, we’d get 6+ feet of snow every year. When working as an environmental consultant for a pipeline construction job in northern Ontario, if the thermometer was below -35 deg C at 7:00 a.m. they’d shut down because the equipment would freeze up, but if it was -32 and the windchill was -60 or less, it was a regular 12-hour day.

Here in Victoria we get a really good winter every ten years or so. I’d like to say I miss it, but I really don’t. I can always go up island to Mount Washington if I feel a burning need to get the snowshoes out of the basement. 🙂

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.