Import B&W DNG into Lightroom

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Import B&W DNG into Lightroom Read 302 Times
  • Jonathan Cross
    Jonathan Cross
    Participant
    Black & White
    on: December 31, 2023 at 6:08 am

How does Lightroom import a monochrome DNG from a monochrome sensor?  Does LR assume the DNG is colour and try to demoniac it, or does it skip the demosaic step?  I would hope that it can cope with each pixel having just a bit level between black and white and that all pixels should be treated as such.  On looking at the import File Handling tab in LR Classic, I cannot see anything that indicates the import to be of a monochrome image.  I can see the you can set various B&W options. but nothing definite to indicate that the dng is not colour.

Can anyone help, please?

Jonathan

Mike Broomfield
    Mike Broomfield
    Silver Member
    Re: Import B&W DNG into Lightroom
    Reply #1 on: December 31, 2023 at 10:47 am

You can download Leica monochrome Raws from the DPR camera review and check to see how they work.

LR and PS ACR know they are grayscale images.  So for example you have no access to the Colour Mixer though you can tone in Colour Grading.  Obviously you can’t convert to colour as the file has no colour data and because there is no colour data there is no B&W Mix panel.

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/8351692681/dpreview-tv-leica-m10-monochrom-gallery/6955742774

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: December 31, 2023 at 12:57 pm

First, it all depends on the DNG (is it a lossless or lossy DNG, Linear DNG, etc)? IOW, not all DNGs are raw and thus are demoniac before LR enters the picture.

EDIT: This messed up site will not let me post a new message so I’ll try an edit here:

I downloaded a Leica DNG. RawDigger indicates it is Linear Raw so not fully raw. Linear DNG files are raw files that have been partially developed.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

• This reply was modified 6 months, 4 weeks ago by Andrew Rodney.
    Jonathan Cross
    Jonathan Cross
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: December 31, 2023 at 2:12 pm

Thanks Andrew.  What I am talking about are Leica Monochrome DNGs.  The specs for the Q2 Monochrom just state 14 bit DNG, and the DPReview samples are about 82MB images from the 47MP sensor.

I have read of third party apps that process the image before handing over to LR, but do not know if this is necessary, hence the question.  I may have to contact Leica and see if they know the answer.

Jonathan

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: December 31, 2023 at 6:39 pm

I downloaded a Leica DNG from here:

photographyblog.com

RawDigger indicates it is Linear Raw so not fully raw. Linear DNG files are raw files that have been partially developed.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Jonathan Cross
    Jonathan Cross
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: January 3, 2024 at 10:02 am

Thanks Andrew.  I understand that DNG files have a colour filter array embedded, but I cannot find what monochrome DNGs have.  I have now lobbed the question about how LR and PS treat a monochrome DNG to Leica UK and they have said they will look into it and reply.  They appeared interested, so I wonder what and when they will report.

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: January 3, 2024 at 1:12 pm

The “monochrome” DNGs I looked at were, again, Linear DNGs, so not fully raw, if that’s important.

If you want a specific DNG from a specific camera examined in RawDigger, upload one to something like Dropbox and I’ll see what it reports.

Jonathan Cross
    Jonathan Cross
    Participant
    Reply #7 on: January 3, 2024 at 6:37 pm

Andrew,

Having looked wider on the web and at conversations about this, I am coming to the conclusion that LR can recognise a monochrome image that does not need demosaicing. If  the library module metadata box lists the camera for the image, e.g. Leica Q2 Monochrom, then it is supported, i.e. LR knows it is a monochrome dng.  I have downloaded a Q2 monochrom dng from the DPReview sample gallery and imported it to LR.  The camera shows in the metadata box, so it is supported.

I shall wait to see if Leica confirms this when they reply to my query.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.