High contrast waterfall

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Topic: High contrast waterfall Read 777 Times
  • Ken Rennie
    Ken Rennie
    Participant
    Landscape & Nature Photography
    on: December 4, 2019 at 9:56 am

Forgot my ND filters so tried shooting multiple images and median merge in photoshop.  KenUntitled-3-white-stroke

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Re: High contrast waterfall
    Reply #1 on: December 4, 2019 at 11:18 am

When in a pinch you have to do what you have to do.  The image is too high in contrast.  I am all about the subtleties that you find in shadows. Details in shadows are full of surprises and make your eye wander to see what it can find.  While this is dramatic it misses those details. Is there any way you can lighten up your shadows? I have been in the same similar situation as you have been and now always have a neutral density filter I have been in the same similar situation as you have been and now always have a neutral density filter in my pack.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Eric Brody
    Eric Brody
    Participant
    Re: High contrast waterfall
    Reply #2 on: December 6, 2019 at 7:43 pm

It’s art, it’s not wrong or right. Each of us can saw what we think, how the image makes one feel. How one deals with what is essentially a technical glitch, not having the desired filter, is up to the artist. One option is to walk away, another is to say, “i’m here,, I’m going to try to make an image.” Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. I’d change a few things myself but the image is an interesting look at the classic waterfall photograph.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Eric Brody.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.