Hasselblad – damn the legacy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Hasselblad – damn the legacy Read 379 Times
  • Daniel Smith
    Daniel Smith
    Participant
    Medium Format
    on: November 14, 2019 at 10:11 am

Hasselblad and the 2 1/4 square film format is a great tool. Used by many for decades to do the job. Absolutely wonderful for wedding work with the square 5 inch proof books. No worry about horizontal or vertical compositions – photograph and you can crop later if needed.

An excellent professional tool with lenses well matched for most any demand.

Then… they went digital and stepped on their legacy. Big Time.

No more Square format. They went with a 645 rectangle rather than the Square ordained by God and blessed by Ernst Wildi.

Probably an economic move due to sensor cost. That, or they hired former GM and Ford auto architects whose design philosophy is “make it – who cares if it is a pain in the ass to use”. At any rate the cost of Hasselblad gear is high enough they could have stayed the course and made the 2 1/4 square camera with the option for 645 via firmware or even the old fashioned mask in front of the back.

Great tools. Excellent quality – but the legend tarnished.

I’ll take Michael Kenna square images as the real thing using film and leave the crop cameras that cost more than both my pickups combined.

"It's not what it is, it's how it looks". Paula Chamlee

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Keymaster
    Re: Hasselblad – damn the legacy
    Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019 at 6:48 pm

Coming from the Phase One side of things and having a lot of connections at HB, I’ll share that many dreamed (from both comapnies)  of a square sensor but the economics of it was just not possible.

Kevin Raber
    CEO & Publisher of PhotoPXL.com and Rockhopperworkshops.com

Vieri Bottazzini
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019 at 12:12 pm

I’ll take Michael Kenna square images as the real thing using film and leave the crop cameras that cost more than both my pickups combined.

The new Hasselblad X1D Mark II costs about 6.000 euro. You must drive very worn out pickups 🙂

Best regards,

Vieri

Vieri Bottazzini, photographer
    Website & blog: https://www.vieribottazzini.com | Workshops: https://www.vieribottazziniworkshops.com

Paul Sokal
    Paul Sokal
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019 at 9:40 pm

<p><p>Here you go: digital medium format, square.</p></p>

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Paul Sokal.
    Attachments:
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.