Grain Layer

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Grain Layer Read 471 Times
  • Ralph Upchurch
    Ralph Upchurch
    Participant
    New Article Announcements & Discussions
    on: April 22, 2022 at 7:52 am

I enjoyed very much Jeff Schewe’s TinType article, and have gone over it a couple of times to try to digest all the tips.  One that continues to elude me is the creation of a grain layer.  It is my understanding that PhotoKit is no longer supported in Ps for Mac, so I tried to reproduce the steps as described strictly in Ps, without success.

Here’s what I tried:

• created new layer in overlay blend mode, with 50% gray fill
    • added filter>noise>add noise>uniform at 10%
    • added filter>blur>gaussian blur at 3 px
    • repeated these 2 steps a couple of times
    • painted in the layer, using either a black or white brush

What I got was just darkening or lightening of the image similar to what a 50% overlay layer would do as a burn/dodge tool, but harsher.

I would be grateful if Jeff or another community member could clarify the needed steps to achieve the desired effect.

Jeff Schewe
    Jeff Schewe
    Gold Member
    Re: Grain Layer
    Reply #1 on: April 29, 2022 at 3:45 am

Sorry, didn’t see this post…

It seems you are conflating two different concepts, the grain layer and a separate sculpting layer…so, did you see a grain effect on the 50% Grey layer set to Overlay and with noise added and blurred? The amounts are resolution dependent so you may need to experiment with different amounts of noise and G-blur.

Ralph Upchurch
    Ralph Upchurch
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: April 29, 2022 at 11:30 am

When I magnify the grain layer to pixel level, I see variations in tone, but these disappear at normal viewing resolution.  So I will try increasing the noise level to amplify the effect.

By conflating concepts, I take it to mean that the overlay grain layer cannot be painted for effect like the sculpting layer.

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022 at 2:47 pm

PhotoKit products still runs (for some) on Mac on the latest versions of Photoshop but no guarantee that will continue to be the case.

See: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/pixel-genius-photokit-amp-ps-cc-22-3-0-on-mac-os-mojave/m-p/12637236#M613251

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Jeff Schewe
    Jeff Schewe
    Gold Member
    Reply #4 on: April 29, 2022 at 4:29 pm

When I magnify the grain layer to pixel level, I see variations in tone, but these disappear at normal viewing resolution.  So I will try increasing the noise level to amplify the effect.

By conflating concepts, I take it to mean that the overlay grain layer cannot be painted for effect like the sculpting layer.

Yes…you should keep the two layers separate…grain in one layer and sculpting on another. Pain ting on the grain layer will screw up the grain…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.