Fuji X100VI

Tagged: ,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Fuji X100VI Read 130 Times
  • Barbara Groom
    Barbara Groom
    Participant
    PXL News
    on: February 20, 2024 at 7:35 pm

I love buying cameras and would really like to have a Fuji X100VI but I don’t see what that would do over my iPhone 15 pro Max. I would like to hear your thoughts on that.

Jonathan Cross
    Jonathan Cross
    Participant
    Re: Fuji X100VI
    Reply #1 on: February 25, 2024 at 9:13 am

Thank you, Kevin, for the articles, on both iPhone macro and the Fuji X100vi. I am now on the horns of a dilemma!  I have an iPhone 12pro and a Fuji X-E4 with the 27mm f2.8, 35mm f2 and 50mm f2 lenses.  The X-E4 and its 3 lenses fit in a small shoulder bag I often carry and I love it.   I take raw images, not jpeg.

I am tempted by the iPhone 15pro max, and the specs of the 100vi also look very tempting.  As I have the 3 small, very portable, lenses, I would prefer an X-E5 if it had a similar spec as the body of the 100vi, just as the X-E4 and 100v had.  I cannot understand why Fuji seem to be giving up on the X-E series as here in the UK second hand X-E4 bodies are selling for more than I paid for a brand new body and the 27mm lens. To get 35mm and 50mm images from the 100vi means cropping and the MP comes down, but to print big could be done with subsequent upscaling with LR super resolution or Topaz.

On the other hand I could sell my X-E4 kit and buy a iPhone 15pro max, trading in the 12. I see though that 48MP raw images are only with the 1x lens.  I do not know if raw images with the 1.2x and 1.5x crops are possible at 24MP.  Others seem to still be 12MP.  12MP will be 4000×3000 pixels, and my printer (Canon Pro-300 A3+, 19”x13” max pigment) does best at 300ppi.  12MP will therefore print up to 13.3”x10” at 300ppi.  Any bigger should mean upscaling.  I have used LR super resolution to print from raw at 19”x13” and been surprisingly pleased with the results from my 12pro.

So my choices are stay as I am, get rid of my X-E4 kit and get either a 15pro max or 100vi, or wait to see if an X-E5 is released.  Currently the vibes are that the X-E5 is unlikely.

Kevin, as you will soon have the 100vi to go with your 15pro max, could you test upscaling to print bigger from a lens or effective lens longer than the base one on both and give your verdict?

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: February 25, 2024 at 11:34 am

Barbara and Jonathan… Let’s start off with the easy question: the iPhone Pro 15 Max.  I love that phone. The camera is excellent. The images I’ve been getting from it incredible I have over 140,000 images on my iPhone at this time. I shoot nothing but raw now.  I have a 1 TB iPhone.  Once a month if not sooner I import the images for the month off onto a folder on my raid.  I then import those images into LR where I can work with them.  LR has a great ProRaw profile, and editing images in LR are really easy to work with.  These images now sit inmmy LR catalog, they are keyworded and I can use masking and other tools to enhance them.  That now makes the iPhone a great camera that is with me all the time.  The 48mp works only on the main camera but RAW works on all lens.  I’ll have some editing tips coming up in the future when I can get past some other projects I am working on.  So, bottom line I love the iPhone 15 and it does some amazing images.  I have also published an article a while back How Bug Can You Go where I printed the iPhone 48mp to a 44×52 inch  Find it HERE.

Now to the Fuji X100VI.  I get my camera this week.  I look forward to getting it set up and getting out to try out its new features.  The Fuji X100VI is a totally different ballgame. It’s the camera you put up to your eye. It’s got a rangefinder it’s got a digital finder. It’s got all sorts of film simulations, and it’s more or less a real camera, and I like shooting with a real camera when I’m on the streets and when I’m at events.  The X100v Fuji, the JPEG rendition from the X100VI is great.  I normally set my camera up to shoot raw and three of my favorite film simulations is JPEG. I can use the Roth I wanted to fine-tune it or JPEG straight out of the camera ready to go. I like the fact that I can put the camera up to my eyeball. I like the fact that the controls on the camera are much like the retro controls. I used to have dials and knobs and not try to put switches all over the place. There is a menu that allows for quick settings, such as the way you might want to set up Focus detection for different subjects, etc. I’ll have more to say on this when I do my article.

I can’t answer the question of whether you should have an iPhone or the 100, but I can tell you that I have both that’s just my nature if I knew I was going on the streets to take pictures, I would actually take a camera if I was somewhere and didn’t wanna have to take a camera I would have my iPhone in my pocket ready to take a picture if I needed to, so I kind of balance the two out. The iPhone is the camera I always have with me rather than trying to have one over the shoulder. But if I am going out to take pictures. I will take one of my other mini cameras if it’s casual on the streets, the X 100 would be the one I checked. If I need interchangeable lenses, it might be the Fuji XT five. If I was out shooting landscapes would probably be the Sony AR for one of these others. I have a lot.

Simply put, the iPhone 15 Promax is a fabulous camera. I have never had a camera quite like that that I can carry in my pocket.  however, I’m still all about the camera, and that’s where the Fuji comes in. What I do I have an awful lot of cameras, however, a lot less than I had a few years ago during the pandemic when I had a cleanse. When I get the new Fuji. I’ll certainly keep everybody abreast of my experiences with it, and share what I can. Most likely I’ll document a lot of I to do with the Fuji with the iPhone. Both are excellent cameras both delivering fine photographs. If you can afford it get both however, if you don’t order your Fuji soon, you may be into months of waiting for them to come out based upon the sales figures that have been shared with me.

Hope that wasn’t too convoluted.  I love the Fuji and I love my iPhone I just decide when I’m going to use one versus the other. But the way I’m set up right now I never miss a picture cause there’s always one camera with me. Hope that helps more on things as they develop it’s going to be an exciting week.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Barbara Groom
    Barbara Groom
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: February 25, 2024 at 11:50 am

Thank you for your thoughts.

Jonathan Cross
    Jonathan Cross
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: February 25, 2024 at 2:28 pm

Like Barbara, thanks for your thoughts Kevin.  I cannot justify both the pro max and the 100vi.  I rarely shoot wide, and am more interested in 50mm, or slightly less often 35mm.  In particular I am interested in upscaling both to print bigger than 13.3″ x 10″ at 300 PPI.  With both the x2 on the iPhone and the 50mm crop on the 100vi,  I think I would have to do that.  So far I have used LR super resolution, on my 12 Pro with surprisingly good results IMHO at 19″ x 13″.  That is why I would be interested when you have tried out your 100vi in a comparison of upscaled prints from the  2x on the 15 and the 50mm crop on the 100vi.  I do have an X-T4 for wild life with the 100-400 lens and really like it.  From my X-E4  and 50mm f2, I can print at 18″ x 12″ without upscaling. I will go back to your ‘How big can you print’ article.

Many thanks,

Jonathan

Bud James
    Bud James
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: February 25, 2024 at 6:29 pm

I owned the X100S, X100T and X100F versions. Great cameras all with incremental improvements. However, after buying my first Leica, the M10, and Leica Summicron 35mm lens, I sold my last X100F and my other Fuji gear to buy a few more lenses for my M10. Nothing beats the Leica M for a true rangefinder shooting experience, but the Fuji X100VI must be an awesome camera too.

Regards,
    Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at http://www.budjames.photography.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.