Fuji GFX 100 Impressions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Fuji GFX 100 Impressions Read 1656 Times
  • Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    New Article Announcements & Discussions
    on: January 23, 2020 at 5:50 am

Interesting article, Anders – and some great shots.

Jeremy

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: Fuji GFX 100 Impressions
    Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020 at 9:11 am

I agree Jeremy.

I would have liked to know more about the lenses used. These days sensors are not the ultimate constraint on resolution and apparent sharpness, rather it is the lenses. It tends to be making less of a difference nowadays whether, within the range of very high quality lenses, one is using zooms or primes. Zoom is more convenient but adds front-end weight and makes really stable hand-holding somewhat more challenging.

I appreciated Anders comment about the limitations of hand-holding even an image stabilized camera if one is looking for the ultimate in sharpness; I experienced it in spades with an older Phase One camera. But I believe from my own experience with FF and APS-C cameras that this is also true for those, when one looks carefully at substantially magnified files. No doubt image stabilization is a great help, especially for a medium format camera, and permits making sharp photos in many situations where they would otherwise suffer motion blur, but like anything, of course it has its limitations.

Coming back to the end results – those photos are gorgeous.

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Re: Fuji GFX 100 Impressions
    Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020 at 10:20 pm

I appreciated Anders comment about the limitations of hand-holding even an image stabilized camera if one is looking for the ultimate in sharpness; I experienced it in spades with an older Phase One camera. But I believe from my own experience with FF and APS-C cameras that this is also true for those, when one looks carefully at substantially magnified files. No doubt image stabilization is a great help, especially for a medium format camera, and permits making sharp photos in many situations where they would otherwise suffer motion blur, but like anything, of course it has its limitations.

I think it might have been Jim Kasson who comment recently on his blog about being able to achieve a 1-stop increase in hand holding by improving his technique over the span of a decade (I may have also remembered that completely wrong.) This is irrespective of camera or electronics, but the old adage: practice, practice, practice. I know for myself that even shooting with my A7R III makes me aware of technique more than ever before because I can tell almost immediately on my computer screen if I succeeded or not. Having said that, since I have a minor motor tremor I am very grateful for IBIS.

Mike.

And yes, some great images!

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.