ET-8550 ~ shelf life of the inks?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Topic: ET-8550 ~ shelf life of the inks? Read 801 Times
  • L Berle
    L Berle
    Participant
    Epson Printers
    on: April 16, 2022 at 7:49 am

I now have my ET-8550 and am very pleased with the quality of the prints using Epson Print Layout.  In  my limited experience EPL is superb bit of software.

Now, I expect the original inks to last a good while (afteral that was one reason to buy a tank printer) but with the UK/EU Spring discounts I thought why not stock up but then I wondered what is the shelf life of the unopened bottles?

I asked Epson EU and they had no other data than for the cartridge inks which have a date on them.  The ET bottles have no such date 🙁

If Dan(o) has any insight on this that would be very welcome 🙂

TIA

• This topic was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by L Berle.
    Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Re: ET-8550 ~ shelf life of the inks?
    Reply #1 on: April 16, 2022 at 10:54 am

I had one of the very first 8550 printers.  I am just now filling tanks with what was left on the bottles.  I also ordered a new set.  They should be good for quite a while.  I understand there is no use by date.  I keep my all supplies in a cool dark place.  You should be OK.

I love my 8550, just keeps working with no problems.  I agree EPL is pretty darn good.  Especially being able to print from my iPAd.

Have fun!

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

L Berle
    L Berle
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: April 16, 2022 at 12:30 pm

Hi Kevin

Thanks for the insight.

Yes, the balance in the bottles looks about 1/5th of the original volume.

Having thought about it….I will, as you have done, just wait until need to add the remainders when required and order again as appropriate.  No doubt the price will have risen but hopefully as they did this Spring do another discount promotion that will knock a little off of the ‘then’ price.

As a testimony to the packaging of the printer. mine when it arrived looked a bit it had a round or two with Mike Tyson but there was no external sign of damage and I have reported to the UK Epson Store I bought it from.   I did advise them it made noises depending on the paper loaded (seems to have gotten a little quieter now?) and looking at online user YouTube videos they all make some noises of one type or another!  One of the noise is a ‘clunk’ as the paper enters the print path from the rear tray feeder.

Oh, I am enjoying the experience of using it and the quality it produces ~ I did an initial check using known reference images and they match the screen view to a “T”….hopefully means I ma doing something right 😉

Many thanks

PS this is more a new topic but…..I will be looking at trying other non OEM papers and need to get my head round how add such papers for idetification, to the dropdown list once I have the bespoke icc profiles to go with it/them.  Can you advise on that or perhaps point me to a guide?

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: April 16, 2022 at 1:26 pm

Ignore the dates; this isn’t cheese <g>

I’ve used inks in my 3880 that have expired by years without any issues. A gentle shake of the cartridges and off to making prints.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Reply #4 on: July 11, 2023 at 7:14 am

09/07/2023 – Just bought a set of 114 inks for my ET-8550 and there is a suggested use by date ( typically) 04/2027 printed on the outside of the individual boxes. This offers a suggest shelf life of approximately 3 years. It does however depend on how long the inks are held by the reseller before despatching. My boxes varied by 1-2 months.

Hope this helps

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.