Epson Print Layout & non-Epson paper

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Epson Print Layout & non-Epson paper Read 1177 Times
  • Fred Carter
    Fred Carter
    Gold Member
    New Article Announcements & Discussions
    on: February 14, 2022 at 8:17 pm

No offense to Dano, but I tend not to use Epson paper.  Sometimes Canson-Infinity, usually HahneMühle.  This is generally for printing in an Epson P800.

Most of these papers, as most of you may know, have an ICC profile available from the manufacturer (or you can make your own), but there’s the print driver setting for what paper type to use.  The Epson driver doesn’t have settings for HahneMühle paper — you use (for matte papers), Velvet & set the profile.  So the printer gets paper characteristics from the paper setting, but Lightroom (in my case) get the color management things from the ICC profile (at a high level).

In your video for the Mac, all the papers were Epson.  Does EPL scan the usual locations for other profiles & have them as options?  Presumably Auto selection of profiles doesn’t work.

For the iPad version of things, is it possible to reasonably print on non-Epson papers? Is there a place to add profiles that EPL will look?

Thanks much/fred

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Re: Epson Print Layout & non-Epson paper
    Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022 at 4:58 pm

Hi Fred,

I use other paper other than the profiles with EPL. To do this you install profiles using Epson Media Installer.  We will do a video on it since it can be tricky, but once you get it it is easy.

There are videos on YouTube explaining it.  With this installed, I can use Ilford paper, Canson and Hahnemuhle.

Usually, if I am doing serious printing on those papers I use Imageprint.  B

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022 at 5:06 pm

EPL and Lightroom Classic and all others get the media settings from the print driver which should be ideal (and match) how any 3rd party profile is made from those media settings. If you get the profiles from the paper manufacturers, they should, they must recommend a media setting to use with that profile; it is how it was created.

You don’t have to, nor want to use Auto for such profiles, you’ll select them manually. And the corresponding media setting.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Fred Carter
    Fred Carter
    Gold Member
    Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022 at 5:46 pm

Thanks @Kevin & Andrew ( @digitaldog ).  That’s what I assumed, but thought I’d check.  I generally print from Lr & I’m quite familiar with the gyrations there. I have printer presets, etc., for the various paper types (HahnaMuhle matte vs glossy, etc.) — that makes it easier not to screw up! The key to printing is consistency!

But it’s always useful to understand the new tools & tricks.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Fred Carter.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Fred Carter.
    Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: February 15, 2022 at 6:32 pm

Fred. I generally print from LR’s Print Module too, it alone is worth the price of admission. Short of soft proofing Advanced B&W settings, there isn’t anything I find unique or more useful in EPL and LR’s module has output sharpening based on the capture sharpening, and of course, you’re working directly from the raw if that is the source. No need to render out anything, just do all the work directly in LR. The Print Templates mean you can select one or more images, then click one button if you wish; done. If your user setup Templates are created correctly, nothing to screw up.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.