Epson Panorama Photo Contest

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Epson Panorama Photo Contest Read 379 Times
  • John Hollenberg
    John Hollenberg
    Participant
    New Article Announcements & Discussions
    on: April 6, 2022 at 7:58 pm

Nice range of panoramas, very enjoyable to peruse.  The panorama titled “Somewhere in the Southwest” sure looks like Goblin Valley State Park in Utah.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: Epson Panorama Photo Contest
    Reply #1 on: April 6, 2022 at 8:18 pm

So much about photo contests is hair-splitting. I could see a number of Kevin’s being prize-winners. I think especially the one of Trump Tower is very well done. (It just needs to have the word “Trump” removed), and the one of the oil refinery just above it is excellent too.

Kevin – what stitching software are you using? (I’m using Lightroom for the street art panos I’ve been creating and it works very well on the whole.) The one I attached here is a nine image stitch (3×3), needed a ton of perspective correction, because the alley the wall faces is extremely narrow. I used a 10mm lens on the a7R4 to capture it; the painting was done by Luvs, well-known Toronto mural artist.

Mark D Segal Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8, SilverFast HDR, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop". Please check the PhotoPXL Store for availability.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Mark D Segal.
    Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: April 6, 2022 at 8:22 pm

And the one of Lemaire channel is fantastic. That could have easily been a prize-winner. Apart from the fact that stitching 28 images is quite a technical accomplishment for whatever the software was.

Mark D Segal Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8, SilverFast HDR, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop". Please check the PhotoPXL Store for availability.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: April 6, 2022 at 9:14 pm

Mark, Thank you.  The stitching software as I explained in the article was mostly done with PS Photomegre.  It’s pretty amazing how well it does.  The new Capture One stitching is looking real promising and the best part you are working with RAWs.  I am about to put it to the test on a couple of challenging files.

But, PTGui is my new go to stitching.  I have know it has been around for a long time.  I did play with it but went back to {S.  Now it deserves a second chance.  It is really powerful and has some nice options to make perfect panos.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: April 6, 2022 at 9:19 pm

Mark, The Lemaire channel shot is one of a kind.  I have never seen any other pano showing both ends of that channel.  It’s an amazing place.  We were cruising through and we were close to one side of the channel.  The boat was going around ten knots.  I put my camera on HS burst capture.  I think that was like 10 FPS.  I tried panning form back to front and front to back.  It was handheld.  I used one of the guidelines in the viewfinder and paired it up with the opposite shoreline.  Then I just started shooting and panned quickly.  In the end it was the back to front or left to right that worked best.

I think the little iceberg in the foreground was pure lick but makes it work. really well.

I love doing these.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: April 6, 2022 at 9:21 pm

I think the Photo merge tools are the same in LR and PS, allowing stitching of raw files, and the resulting pano becomes a dng. I have tried PTGUI – it looks very capable but there is quite a learning curve to use it properly, unlike the LR/PS tools which work quite intuitively. I would reserve PTGUI for things LR can’t do well enough, which aren’t many.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #6 on: April 6, 2022 at 9:23 pm

Mark, The Lemaire channel shot is one of a kind.  I have never seen any other pano showing both ends of that channel.  It’s an amazing place.  We were cruising through and we were close to one side of the channel.  The boat was going around ten knots.  I put my camera on HS burst capture.  I think that was like 10 FPS.  I tried panning form back to front and front to back.  It was handheld.  I used one of the guidelines in the viewfinder and paired it up with the opposite shoreline.  Then I just started shooting and panned quickly.  In the end it was the back to front or left to right that worked best.

I think the little iceberg in the foreground was pure lick but makes it work. really well.

I love doing these.

INdeed, lots of fun – and really superb.

Garry Teeple
    Garry Teeple
    Participant
    Reply #7 on: April 7, 2022 at 9:20 am

Those are some beautiful pano’s, Kevin.  Those of the Dolomites really are outstanding.  When you do your stitching software review think about including Affinity, I’ve been using it and so far I have had great success with it and also for photo stacking.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Garry Teeple.
    Srdjan Mitrovic
    Srdjan Mitrovic
    Silver Member
    Reply #8 on: April 7, 2022 at 6:18 pm

I think the Photo merge tools are the same in LR and PS, allowing stitching of raw files, and the resulting pano becomes a dng. I have tried PTGUI – it looks very capable but there is quite a learning curve to use it properly, unlike the LR/PS tools which work quite intuitively. I would reserve PTGUI for things LR can’t do well enough, which aren’t many.

The Panorama PhotoMerge is different in LR and PS. Both the output format and the result differ in my tests. I have more success with PS.

Erik Brammer
    Erik Brammer
    Participant
    Reply #9 on: April 8, 2022 at 1:05 am

Kevin, after looking at the 2021 award winners, I think you should have earned a spot. Either way, you have lost some money, but you have won the respect of your community here. Rightly so!

Oliver Ritter-Wolff
    Oliver Ritter-Wolff
    Silver Member
    Reply #10 on: April 8, 2022 at 6:49 am

Hello Kevin,

even if you didn’t win anything, I like your panos very much. Interesting technique, which of course I have always noticed but never used myself until today. Maybe something for the future if Capture One makes a few more steps here. A photo friend has experimented with it in Capture One was not satisfied with the results – because of various artifacts – but yet.

Oliver

https://www.riwodot.de

https://vero.co/riwodot

https://www.instagram.com/riwodot/

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.