Epson Legacy Baryta II Paper

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Epson Legacy Baryta II Paper Read 310 Times
  • David Kaufman
    David Kaufman
    Participant
    New Article Announcements & Discussions
    on: January 16, 2023 at 3:10 pm

Many thanks to Mark Segal for his great paper reviews!  I have a question for Mark arising from his latest review:

The original Canson Photographique Baryta and Epson Legacy Baryta papers were nearly identical, both in base composition and surface characteristics. To my eye there was a very slight difference in apparent brightness.  However, the new Epson Legacy Baryta II appears to be different from the two-year-old Canson Photographique Baryta II. You report, Mark, that the new Epson paper has a cotton base, while the Canson Baryta II has a cellulose base. My question is about surface characteristics: The two-year old Canson Baryta II surface has a milky appearance when viewed at an angle, which disqualified it from use in my mind. Does the new Epson Legacy Baryta II paper have a similar problem with the surface or does it retain contrast when viewed at any angle?  Thank you.

David Kaufman    (www.davidkaufmanphotography.com)

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: Epson Legacy Baryta II Paper
    Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023 at 3:29 pm

Hi David, glad you enjoyed the review.

The surface texture of the Legacy Baryta II is VERY different from the Canson Baryta Photographique II. The Legacy product looks very much like the other conventional luster papers in its class, while the Canson surface is more akin to unferrotyped gloss paper, if you recall from the darkroom days what that looked like. You will not find the Legacy Baryta II looking the least bit “milky” or foggy no matter the angle of view; however, like for any luster paper, the surface texture shows more or less depending on the angle of view.

Mark D Segal Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8, SilverFast HDR, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop". Please check the PhotoPXL Store for availability.

David Kaufman
    David Kaufman
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023 at 6:55 pm

Mark,

Thanks very much for your quick reply. That is great news about the Epson Legacy Baryta II paper, and I will order some shortly to test.

Thanks very much again for all the work you put into the paper reviews.

David

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023 at 8:49 pm

You are welcome, glad you find them helpful.

Mark D Segal Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8, SilverFast HDR, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop". Please check the PhotoPXL Store for availability.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.