Don’t Leave Home Without It – SanDisk Extreme 2TB USB SSD

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Don’t Leave Home Without It – SanDisk Extreme 2TB USB SSD Read 1077 Times
  • Mike Broomfield
    Mike Broomfield
    Silver Member
    New Article Announcements & Discussions
    on: August 24, 2019 at 6:53 pm

I’ve had a couple of these for a while.  Same or similar case too and I can squeeze both in 1 case + 1 cable at the same time.

I’ve had trouble with the supplied cables (both) either USB C – to C or USB A to C and have replaced both with short (1 foot or less)  TB3 cables (I use TB3 elsewhere) which seem better.

Nice compact storage, but test before using for anything critical

Mike

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Re: Don’t Leave Home Without It – SanDisk Extreme 2TB USB SSD
    Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019 at 10:42 pm

Thanks, Kevin!

Tell me I’m not the only one to remember 8″ floppy drives. 🙂 Bill Gates is reported to have said, “40MB of hard drive space is all you’ll ever need.” That quote may or may not be true, but the reality certainly is not.

As far as cables go, for replacements (if necessary) I tend to use Anker cables. Haven’t failed me yet.

Mike.

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

Francesco Carucci
    Francesco Carucci
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019 at 12:01 am

Great article, Kevin. I have one of those two to store my Lightroom catalog on the road.

I see you are paranoid about losing stuff (so am I!). Give a look at this article where I describe how to set up Lightroom and a Synology box for continuous transparent backup of your work even when you are on the road:
    http://carucci.photography/blogs/blog/how-i-store-and-backup-my-photography

It should translate pretty straight to CaptureOne.

tldr; a dropbox-like shared folder that is synchronized across multiple machines transparently.

I’ve been running this set up for few years now.

Thanks, Kevin!

Tell me I’m not the only one to remember 8″ floppy drives. ? Bill Gates is reported to have said, “40MB of hard drive space is all you’ll ever need.” That quote may or may not be true, but the reality certainly is not.

The original quote was “640K (of RAM) ought to be enough for anybody” 😀

carucci.photography

Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019 at 2:28 am

Thanks, Kevin!
    Tell me I’m not the only one to remember 8″ floppy drives. ?

You aren’t!

Jeremy

Daniel Smith
    Daniel Smith
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019 at 4:56 am

“Tell me I’m not the only one to remember 8″ floppy drives.”

Then we had the wonderful Bernoulli disks. Bump them and you discovered the digital 1’s and 0’s were like domino’s. You lost the file because it got jumbled.

Zip disks? Really great and a lot more storage space and then you couldn’t open them at all.

More and faster and newer while a three year old piece of hardware becomes “ancient”…

"A good still photograph, studied by an inquiring mind, frequently yields more information than a mile of moving images". Walter Cronkite, New York, June 1989

Robert Peterson
    Robert Peterson
    Gold Member
    Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019 at 8:39 am

“Tell me I’m not the only one to remember 8″ floppy drives.”

Nope! And 5GB full height 5.25″ hard drives!

For a number of years I’ve used a Sabrent enclosure for 2.5″ hard drives with a captive USB 3.0 cable terminating in a Type A connector, a design no longer marketed. That case requires no tools to remove or install a drive, a feature I really like. My cases now contain SSDs. Like Kevin, I travel with three and when flying carry them in separate locations such that a lost bag doesn’t result in loss of data.

-Bob

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019 at 10:07 am

I still have a box of old 8 inch and 5 inch as well as 3 inch floppies.  I had a Commodore 8032 computer that I ran my business on for the longest time that had a giant external floppy drive with a. combined 1 megabyte of storage.   I was in heaven and never would need more. Then when I went to using the original Macintoshes I would buy 10 meg and 20 meg external drives which cost a fortune.  Thought I was on top of the mountain back then.  Now, I measure in Terabytes.  Man, the world has changed. I was a progressive thinker but could never have imagined living in this world now.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019 at 10:10 am

It’s funny.  I thought jump drives (thumb drives) were cool.  Hardly even use those anymore.  Think about it, I am shooting images onto 512 gig cards the size of an oversized stamp.  It hurts my head to think about it.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Ralph Upchurch
    Ralph Upchurch
    Participant
    Reply #8 on: September 6, 2019 at 8:53 am

Now, I measure in Terabytes.

Get ready for Petabyte, which comes after Terabyte!  Then Exabyte, Zettabyte, and Yottabyte.

Rand Scott Adams
    Rand Scott Adams
    Silver Member
    Reply #9 on: September 8, 2019 at 7:59 am

My first IBM PC had 64k of memory hard-wired to the motherboard.  Couldn’t even load a mouse-driver on it today.  I remember when I filled all the slots to a whopping 640k and thought I was “da man.”  LOL  That thing really was what we now call a “beast” but not in the good way.  The keyboard was in a metal housing that weighed about 3 pounds.

Then I went absolutely techno-nuts and bought a Toshiba laptop that had (wait for it!) a 10 MEGAbyte hard drive.  You could hear the read-head moving around with the sound of an electric stapler.  And I had my own Graphical UI.  I created a text file screen with numbered items on it for my various programs.  The numbers were merely batchfile names that launched the programs.

And, when I first saw this ‘Windows” thing… I thought to myself, it looks cool but it doesn’t “do anything.”

Who remembers the CD rom disks that were made of some kind of rock-like material on the surface that got literally “etched” so that you data was supposedly “permanent?”  Forget what they were called.

What a hoot…. tempis fugit.

Rand

Rand Scott Adams Rand47

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.