Creating Artistic Photographs 
Film to Digital Paradigm Shift: Part 1

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Creating Artistic Photographs 
Film to Digital Paradigm Shift: Part 1 Read 26117 Times
  • John Sadowsky
    John Sadowsky
    Participant
    New Article Announcements & Discussions
    on: April 26, 2021 at 8:14 pm

I have to call foul here.  Alian Briot presents three pictures of the same scene.  The first two are side-by-side “raw files as processed to give a realistic look …” – what exactly is the difference between the two?  But more irritating is the final of the three images.  Again, the caption only says “processed to give a realistic look and digitally enhanced.”  I lived in the southwest for 25 years and I can tell you that that image is not a “realistic look.”  The sky color is wrong.  The rock color is wrong.  It is actually a horrible representation of a southwest scene.

JSS

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: Creating Artistic Photographs 
    Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021 at 8:27 pm

I don’t even think it’s worth discussing film versus digital in 2021. And more generally speaking, we can process photos to give them pretty much whatever appearance we want – that is partly what art is all about; in any event, when it comes to landscape photography, “realistic” will never mean “accurate” in any objective sense. And what’s “realistic” to one beholder may not be to another. Any idea how much jelly can we nail to a wall?

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021 at 9:22 pm

Yup, pleasing color Mark, which we both know is subjective.

As was how we old farts handled color neg printing in the day.

I still want to scream when people post photo comparisons of techniques and tell us “But this color is accurate”. Then I have to ask them, what’s the deltaE (pick any formula at this point) accuracy of that photo? Always silence. Oh, it’s not more accurate (to the scene of course, how else could one discuss color accuracy), it’s pleasing color. Pleasing is subjective. Accurate color is often not pleasing, but that’s a different story.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021 at 9:32 pm

I will agree John that at the very least, 3-B0003981-Pano-Flat-Cropped-3000_Ready_for_Web02.jpg looks very unrealistic unless perhaps under LSD (don’t ask but I have experience as a very young lad <g>) so I downloaded it assuming it was untagged and I’ve viewing on a wide gamut display. No, it’s tagged as sRGB. I don’t find any of the images pleasing, but that is utterly subjective and I’m not the image creator so the intent of the processing must be an ‘artistic’ decision.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021 at 8:30 am

Just for note and most know, this site like most converts images to srgb for publication.  Alian I know uses RGB and most likely ProRGB for his work.  I think we are looking at artist or creator expression.  Heck, I have been accused by some of Raberizing my images.  As I get older not so much.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Alain Briot
    Alain Briot
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021 at 7:13 pm

The caption titled ‘as a raw file, processed in a realistic manner and processed with digital manipulations’ is intended for three different photographs.  In my original essay presentation these photographs are shown next to each other with the caption underneath the photographs .  On PhotoPXL they are presented below each other and the caption is repeated three times.  However the way I intended it, and the way it needs to be read, is that this caption is for three different photographs: the first being the raw file, the second a realistic rendition and the third a digitally manipulated image.

Author of Mastering Landscape Photography and 3 other books.
    http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
    [email protected]

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Alain Briot.
    Alain Briot
    Alain Briot
    Silver Member
    Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021 at 7:22 pm

The caption titled ‘as a raw file, processed in a realistic manner and processed with digital manipulations’ is intended for three different photographs.  In my original essay presentation these photographs are shown next to each other with the caption underneath the photographs .  On PhotoPXL they are presented below each other and the caption is repeated three times.  However the way I intended it, and the way it needs to be read, is that this caption is for three different photographs: the first being the raw file, the second a realistic rendition and the third a digitally manipulated image.

[email protected]

Alain Briot
    Alain Briot
    Silver Member
    Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021 at 7:35 pm

Below is how the photographs and captions were originally organized in the Word file I sent to Kevin. In the online version on PhotoPXL the organization is different, the photographs being shown below each other and the same caption being repeated three times.   I personally like the presentation on PhotoPXL but I wanted to show the original version here in case the presentation on PhotoPXL is confusing to some readers.

[email protected]

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021 at 7:39 pm

Nothing above or in the article shows a capture “as a raw file“. All are rendered images. So this is rather confusing.

This is what raw looks like (direct link too, because this site seems to have issues: http://www.digitaldog.net/files/raw.jpg:

This is raw.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Andrew Rodney.
    Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021 at 7:44 pm

So what’s the secret trick to embed an image in a post here guys? I click on the icon (insert image)  and paste a URL, I get nothing.
    Trying again, NOT inserting dimensions, maybe…..

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Andrew Rodney. Reason: Test for embed of images
    Alain Briot
    Alain Briot
    Silver Member
    Reply #10 on: April 27, 2021 at 8:16 pm

I uploaded the files to my server then used the links as source in the ‘Insert/Edit image’ dialog box (under the little landscape icon in the toolbar):

[email protected]

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #11 on: April 27, 2021 at 8:27 pm

That’s exactly what I’m doing Alain, from Safari on Mac but as you can see, nothing to view. They are JPEGs, sRGB, my FTP.

The site is a bit buggy for me for whatever reason. I still don’t know why, despite the “keep logged in” check box, I have to often log in.

Anyway, the URL for what a raw file actually looks like works. I think but am not sure, what you may be saying as a raw file“ is “default rendering” in “XXX” raw converter? What you are showing isn’t an image as a raw file. That would look rather ugly as seen here and here:

http://www.digitaldog.net/files/raw.jpg

http://www.digitaldog.net/files/ThisIsRaw.jpg

Those are are previews of actual raw data.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Andrew Rodney. Reason: Test embed of images
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.