Changes At photoPXL

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Changes At photoPXL Read 2569 Times
  • Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    About This Site
    on: August 24, 2023 at 6:10 pm

Today I announced some changes, and there will be more for this site.  Please feel free to comment and share ideas and such on this topic.  Thanks.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

• This topic was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by Kevin Raber.
    Gary Chappel
    Gary Chappel
    Participant
    Re: Changes At photoPXL
    Reply #1 on: August 24, 2023 at 7:00 pm

Kevin, that sounds like a wonderful idea.

Just a thought- you may want to think about also releasing the audio portion of each video as a mp3 file or podcast.

Lots of people (including me)  have time to listen to podcasts in the car, while we do not have time to watch videos everyday.

This has worked on other sites- with the podcast/video model.   May or may not work for you.

Thanks for doing this.

gary

larry angier
    larry angier
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: August 25, 2023 at 12:51 am

Go for it, Keven!

Like you, I’ve been slammed for months and soon will be past it all and can go out and shoot for myself soon!

With the end of photo mags, many of which were shrining away for years and the shuttering of several of the websites that were taking their place and keeping us informed, many of us still need a source for good info and share our passion.

That said, to continue our fervor and to keep relevant, it’s also up to us to pitch in with content and to mentor and encourage the younger generation or we may be the last…

That said, I hope that others will pitch in and pass the word and keep the torch burning!

--
    Larry Angier
    In the Heart of the Mother Lode of California

Jonathan Cross
    Jonathan Cross
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: August 25, 2023 at 7:31 am

Kevin, it is really good to know you have your mojo back.  Yours is one of the few photographic sites I look at regularly.

I am interested in your comments about phone photography.  More and more people that I talk to are using their phone more.  In the UK the Royal Photographic Society has run some online talks and the fashion photographer, Nick Knight, has been taking and exhibiting images of roses using his iPhone (https://www.anothermag.com/art-photography/11779/nick-knight-roses-interview-albion-barn-exhibition-alexander-fury).

It is obviously easy to take a phone image in RAW.  I have enough space on my phone to take a good batch, bring them home and import to my desktop.  Loading them into LR means I can super-res to 48Mp and have enough headroom to crop and print.  I am happy with the results after the usual RAW processing.  I do not want to process on my phone as I like to do it on a bigger screen.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Garry Teeple
    Garry Teeple
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: August 25, 2023 at 8:27 am

Kevin, I think it would be great to see just some of your daily routine as you go about shooting, editing, and making a finished print with your thought process as you go.  Might be a little difficult shooting a video while your hands are busy but even an audio would be good.  Glad to see your are back at it, don’t get stressed out and if necessary sit back and relax a little.

P.S.  I have really enjoyed the discussion with others you have done.

Garry

Elliot Puritz
    Elliot Puritz
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: August 25, 2023 at 9:16 am

Consider:   ” Kevin’s Corner”

Pick up a cup of coffee and talk to your friends Kevin.

Agree completely about iPhones. One would have to be blind to ignore the fact that for almost every use the more portable iPhone is taking over the photographic landscape ( to mix the metaphor! ).

BTW….you did NOT let any of us down in any way……

Elliot

Jean-Michel Komarnicki
    Jean-Michel Komarnicki
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: August 25, 2023 at 1:14 pm

I check out your site daily as it is. Your plan for daily videos sounds very interesting, and, I hope for you, not too overly draining! Perhaps other participants, me included, might help by occasionally and maybe regularly adding to your site. I am in the midst of a major relocation and my own eventual contributions  may have to wait for 2 or 3 months from now. I have been grateful for your help in keeping me up to date with much of the digital realm since your days at Lula. I too have some 5+ decades of photography behind me but am always eager to use whatever new or old to advance my own projects.

I also agree with Elliot Purity in that you need not think that you let anyone down.

Thanks

Jean-Michel Komarnicki

Jean-Michel

Paul Rubner
    Paul Rubner
    Silver Member
    Reply #7 on: August 25, 2023 at 6:33 pm

Hello Kevin:

I watched your video and can understand, to some degree, what you are trying to do. I’m sure it will evolve.

I thought it would be of interest to you to see what others have done along similar lines.  Mike Colameco’s “The Bite” series seems something you might want to look at if you are not already familiar with it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6DbQ2khxH4

One lesson may be that 10 minutes is too much.  Maybe 5 or under might be better.

Good luck with the endeavor.

Paul Rubner

William Sharwell
    William Sharwell
    Silver Member
    Reply #8 on: August 25, 2023 at 6:47 pm

istening once Kevin

Glad to hear you are enthused again but not thrilled with the video idea. As a general rule of thumb I dislike videos-I spend most of my work day with a screen. I read hardcover paperbacks to relax.

I have q tremor which makes iPhone photography a Challenge if during an off time for meds. I do agree though that it is a good camera.

Someone else suggested a podcast-I like the idea way better than a video.  Zero chance of listening each day but I could see l listening once a week..

Rocky

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #9 on: August 26, 2023 at 11:19 am

Gary . . .   I see in the editing program that I can export an audio file by itself of the video.  I’ll most likely y try to start a podcast channel for the audio portion of these chats.

Kevin Raber

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #10 on: August 26, 2023 at 11:21 am

Consider: ” Kevin’s Corner”

Pick up a cup of coffee and talk to your friends Kevin.

Agree completely about iPhones. One would have to be blind to ignore the fact that for almost every use the more portable iPhone is taking over the photographic landscape ( to mix the metaphor! ).

BTW….you did NOT let any of us down in any way……

Elliot

Elliot. . . . . I’m thinking that Sundays will be having a coffee with Kevin day.  I’ll chat about the past week etc..  Still trying to wrap my head around all sorts of ideas.

Kevin Raber

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #11 on: August 26, 2023 at 11:27 am

Hello Kevin:

I watched your video and can understand, to some degree, what you are trying to do. I’m sure it will evolve.

I thought it would be of interest to you to see what others have done along similar lines. Mike Colameco’s “The Bite” series seems something you might want to look at if you are not already familiar with it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6DbQ2khxH4

One lesson may be that 10 minutes is too much. Maybe 5 or under might be better.

Good luck with the endeavor.

Paul Rubner

Paul, Thanks for the share.  That guy puts out a lot of info in one minute.  I will try to be a bit more to the point with my talks.

Kevin Raber

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.