Capture One New Features With Kevin

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Capture One New Features With Kevin Read 541 Times
  • Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    New Article Announcements & Discussions
    on: December 11, 2020 at 7:04 pm

The NEW Capture One 21 was just released. There are a lot of new features but the major new feature that almost justifies the price of admission is the Dehaze Tool. There are a number of other features that I cover in my article with accompanying video. 

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

• This topic was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Kevin Raber.
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Kevin Raber.
    John Sadowsky
    John Sadowsky
    Participant
    Re: Capture One New Features With Kevin
    Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020 at 1:21 pm

From viewing comments here (on the other C1-21 thread) and on other sites, the ProStandard profiles are under-appreciated.  The fact that they are rolling these out for various cameras slowly indicates to me that a lot more work goes into creating these profiles – more than just clicking a button on X-Rite or Lumariver software.  It appears C1 is doing us a significant service here.

JSS

Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020 at 1:40 pm

Still no history palette, though. Boo.

Jeremy

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020 at 2:51 pm

John,  First, all the profiles previous to the ProStandard ones were very good.  The Pro – profiles are bringing certain colors in line from where they were.  Like I tried to illustrate in my video blue is one of the colors you can see this most.  Red and blue in some instances on almost all cameras and especially the Sony sensors didn’t have full separation in the curves.  Therefore sometimes the blue in skies for example tended to feel a bit purple.  Thse differences have been corrected with the Pro profiles.  This also goes for other colors and the subtlies might not be notices.  But there is a difference. 

The big feature Dehaze is amazing.  Even more so than in LR.  I’m sure that C1 will add continual improvements over the next year.  I know they have a big team and they are working on a lot of things, hopefully some will be big surprises.  

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Jeff Griffin
    Jeff Griffin
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020 at 6:50 pm

They have a new ProStandard profile for the camera I am using, Sony A7RM4.

Using the lab readouts to do a comparison I am also finding a reduction in magenta  ( but not for images with magenta ) and a slight increase in yellow.

I wonder with the introduction of speed edits this is a way of trialling for Kevin’s   ” big surprise ”   a tablet version of C1  ?

Negative dehaze is good for enhancing fog / mist or for steam from steam trains especially as it can be used on a layer and brushed in.

One has to rember that v20 had some excellent new features in 20.1 so maybe 21.1 sometime in mid-year will also have something ?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Jeff Griffin.
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: December 12, 2020 at 7:02 pm

One has to rember that v20 had some excellent new features in 20.1 so maybe 21.1 sometime in mid-year will also have something ?

We shall see! Improvements to DAM, adding history, being able to view/combine images in subfolders and all those other background things aren’t very glamorous but they are vital to working with a well-rounded program. When Lr debuted in 2007, it was the first software of its kind to be database-centric and that’s still vital. As I tell beginner photographers, it doesn’t matter if you have 500 images of 50K images. How easy is it for you to find the one image you’re looking for?

Mike

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

John Sadowsky
    John Sadowsky
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: December 12, 2020 at 8:03 pm

When Lr debuted in 2007, it was the first software of its kind to be database-centric and that’s still vital.

I looked it up in Wikipedia – Apple Aperture was released in 2005, but Lr didn’t come out until 2007 (as you say).

JSS

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.