Can the Epson P5000 Commercial edition be converted to the Standard Edition?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Can the Epson P5000 Commercial edition be converted to the Standard Edition? Read 625 Times
  • Eric Brody
    Eric Brody
    Participant
    Epson Printers
    on: April 10, 2022 at 8:22 pm

At some point my nine year old Epson 3880 will pass on to printer heaven. Since I am an avid user of the QTR RIP for my black and white prints, I need a printer that will run QTR. Canon printers will not; the newer Epson printers, the P900 in particular will run it only with glossy paper. The P900 has been out for a while and Roy Harrington, the developer of QTR has for whatever reason been unable to adapt it. I am not currently in the market for a larger printer (eg 24″).

Basically, this leaves the Surecolor P5000 as the only choice as the P800 is no longer made. Indeed, the P5000 has been out of stock at most places for some time. For reasons not clear to me the “Commercial Edition,” with the violet ink is available. On the B&H website, in the P5000 reviews, there are a few comments that, before firing it up for the first time, one can replace the violet ink with an LLK cartridge and essentially make the Commercial Edition into the Standard Edition. When I did a Google search on this, I did not find any evidence that this is possible, even the Epson site says it’s not possible.

Has anyone here had any experience with this? I’d love to hear Mark Segal’s opinion on this.

Thanks to all,

Eric

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: Can the Epson P5000 Commercial edition be converted to the Standard Edition?
    Reply #1 on: April 10, 2022 at 9:31 pm

Hi Eric, Well, not a matter of opinion really – either it can be or it cannot be. I recall at the time the printer was issued Epson telling customers that the choice of Violet or LLK at time of purchase is final. But I very much recommend that you call Epson Sales or Tech Support and ask them. They’ll gladly tell you.

Oh – an afterthought – at the same time worth asking the availability question. Most likely this is yet another high tech product caught up in COVID supply chain issues, and if so they probably don’t know when they will really be on-shore and available for immediate delivery, but no harm asking.

Mark D Segal Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8, SilverFast HDR, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop". Please check the PhotoPXL Store for availability.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.