Awaiting Mark Segal’s Epson P900 review

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Awaiting Mark Segal’s Epson P900 review Read 19280 Times
  • Eric Brody
    Eric Brody
    Participant
    Epson Printers
    on: June 27, 2020 at 12:02 pm

I love to print, mostly on matte papers, but often want to try one on luster or glossy paper. I am “locked in” to Epson printers because I really like printing my black and white work with QTR. Were it not for that, I suspect I’d be a Canon printer owner. I realize that the realistic ink “waste” with a MK-PK switch on my 3880 and on the current P800 is not that much but it still seems a waste and I also resent the time for the switch. All these are genuine first world problems, I realize.

When the the P7570 was announced, I thought I might fulfill my fantasy of owning a 24″ printer, even at the impressive price, but then I read on various fora about the problems with it and its 44″ cousin the 9570, and placed that dream on the back burner. On paper, the P900 checks almost all the boxes, especially the ink switching one. Many have complained about the 50ml cartridges and they do not please me but I can probably live with that IF it works as advertised and will run QTR. Neither Roy Harrington nor anyone else can likely answer the QTR question until they have a printer in hand. I hope that a review by the estimable Mark Segal, printer guru to us all, will help. If Epson is smart (and if they believe it’s as good as they say it is), they will be shipping a P900 to Mark and to Roy to review as soon as one comes off the production line. I am among many awaiting such a review, even a preliminary one.

B&H lists a July 16, 2020 availability. I’m not really in a hurry (hah!) and if possible, will get mine from my local dealer. There’s an old saying in my profession… “be not the first to try the new nor the last to abandon the old.”

Thanks,

Eric

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: Awaiting Mark Segal’s Epson P900 review
    Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020 at 12:43 pm

Hi Eric, – love that saying at the end of your post! It applies so fittingly to this high-tech world we live in these days.

I much appreciate your eagerness to see a review from me on the P900, and I’m eager to get one done. Problem is – no printer! I knew from some time back that there would be a lag between the availability of the P700 (now on the market) and the P900, but can’t get an exact ETA on a P900 for reviewers. I’m hoping sooner rather than later, but let us see how this plays out. As you know, every supply chain is navigating difficult terrain these days with the severe disruptions we have been going through.

Mark D Segal Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8, SilverFast HDR, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop". Please check the PhotoPXL Store for availability.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020 at 1:41 pm

I am presently finishing up the P700 review.  The focus will be printing from home.  It’s now so much easier.  The printer is very nice and does what is expected.  I have had a few glitches which got worked out and are not deal-breakers.  I’ll start with a PictureMate 400 review and then the P700 review.  The article I published yesterday is a lead in to all the articles that we will be doing regarding printers in the coming weeks. Stay tuned.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

William Sharwell
    William Sharwell
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: August 5, 2020 at 6:00 pm

Any idea when the P900 will arrive? Ive got one on order but no ETA.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020 at 3:28 pm

We have received no notice yet from Epson that either commercial units or review units are ready to be shipped yet. The B&H website still says “Coming Soon”. So the message and the non-message are consistent!

Mark D Segal Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8, SilverFast HDR, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop". Please check the PhotoPXL Store for availability.

William Sharwell
    William Sharwell
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020 at 9:26 pm

I got an answer over the weekend after emailing B&H that my printer was expected at the warehouse by 9/26 and would be shipped soon after. Yom Kippur is 9/28 and they are closed for a week in early October too…

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020 at 10:19 pm

That’s interesting news, thanks for the heads-up.

William Sharwell
    William Sharwell
    Silver Member
    Reply #7 on: October 2, 2020 at 8:10 am

After getting several form emails saying the printer is still on backorder I emailed B&H again for an estimated ETA. Got a response today that it is now expected to arrive at the warehouse  on 10/25.   If I don’t get an email  saying that your item has shipped around that time I may cancel the order as it will ship by FedEx and dealing with Fed Ex to reschedule delivery is just not fun–and I have a busy fall and winter planned with other activities…

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #8 on: October 2, 2020 at 8:33 am

So, let’s look at this brief history for guidance: On August 10 you wrote that B&H expected to receive it on September 26th. That came and went about a week ago, and on October 2nd you report B&H now expects it on October 25th. That tells you something about the reliability of these kind of expectations in current conditions, that are unprecedented since World War 2. I’ve decided to do the only sensible thing I can do: put it out of mind until it turns up at the front door. I’ve completed my current review commitments involving printing so the coast is clear for when a P900 arrives, I’ll get right down to it. As for FedEx – in my experience they’re the best of the lot, but they too are having to manage with difficult logistical circumstances. We’ll hope for the best.

William Sharwell
    William Sharwell
    Silver Member
    Reply #9 on: October 2, 2020 at 9:09 am

I agree with you about the conditions but my experience with Fed Ex locally is not good–as I have just started going back to the office   which is 45 minutes away and the ability to be here for delivery is not good. I have had really good experience with redirecting must sign for shipments to the  UPS Truck Depot which is conveniently on the way to work.  I will be away a bit too.  I’m not irritated with B&H but I just have lots of other things planned for fall and winter that don’t include staying inside with a new printer…

Bud James
    Bud James
    Participant
    Reply #10 on: October 9, 2020 at 10:13 am

I ordered a P900 and a set of extra ink cartridges from B&H Photo back in April. I was going on vacation for 2 weeks in mid-August si I called them to make sure they would not ship it while I was away. I was told that it was due to ship at the end of August. In the first week of September the ink carts arrived. Still no word on when the printer will ship. Disappointing.

Regards,

Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at http://www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at http://www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

William Sharwell
    William Sharwell
    Silver Member
    Reply #11 on: October 9, 2020 at 10:27 am

I get the sense that they don’t have a clue when it will arrive -which I would rather hear-than the end of the month and get disappointed…..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.