ACR 15.0 and Lr 12.0 updates

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Topic: ACR 15.0 and Lr 12.0 updates Read 748 Times
  • Jeff Schewe
    Jeff Schewe
    Gold Member
    Adobe Lightroom & Adobe Camera Raw
    on: October 21, 2022 at 2:42 am

Folks,

In case you haven’t noticed, there’s a new version of Lightroom Classic and Camera Raw available for download. It’s a really major upgrade…

Learn about major new features and enhancements in the October 2022 release of Adobe Camera Raw (version 15.0).

Learn about major new features and enhancements in the October 2022 release of Lightroom Classic (version 12.0).

Note, there are some major changes to the UI in Camera Raw that hasn’t made it to Lightroom yet. For example, in Camera Raw you can now use a Curves adjustment in local adjustments (something I’ve wanted for a long time) but that function isn’t in Lightroom yet. However, you can edit the original file in ACR and import the .xmp settings into Lightroom. From what I gather, the Mask function will spar in Lightroom “noonish”.

New feature summary | Adobe Camera Raw (October 2022 release)

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: ACR 15.0 and Lr 12.0 updates
    Reply #1 on: October 21, 2022 at 9:55 am

Jeff, have you worked with the LR beta for long enough to determine how well it functions with Monterey 12.6 in terms of respecting colour management, all the printing protocols, etc.? Any serious bugs you’ve seen that should be attended to?

I’m asking because I’ve been burned twice-over recently by downloading up-graded software before there’s been enough time for major bugs to be discovered and remedied – to avoid distraction I won’t get into it here, but just to suggest a bit of hesitancy in light of experience, notwithstanding the temptation of the great new features; they can wait a bit if it may avoid trouble.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: October 21, 2022 at 4:06 pm

Mark, I have been getting into LR a lot and everything seems to work fine in Monterey.  The new masking features are pretty cool.  I think the C1 guys are a bit awed by it.  There are so many good tools out there right now.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: October 21, 2022 at 4:24 pm

Yes, the masking tools in version 11.5 are already superb, so these add-ons in version 12 look to be yet more incredible. But I’m being a bit cautious about upgrades after several recent experiences. I’ll upgrade in due course and good to her that you (and I suppose Jeff) have had no noteworthy issues so far.

Jeff Schewe
    Jeff Schewe
    Gold Member
    Reply #4 on: October 21, 2022 at 4:44 pm

So far, with limited test prints, no issues printing to my P900 in Lr managed color & B&W. Running M1 Ultra, Mac OS 12.6, Lr 12.0, Epson P900 driver 11.01

Anything in particular?

Jeff Schewe
    Jeff Schewe
    Gold Member
    Reply #5 on: October 21, 2022 at 4:46 pm

It should also be noted that Photoshop has a whole new Ps 2023 version…I didn’t catch that the first time around. I had just updated the 2022 version.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #6 on: October 21, 2022 at 4:57 pm

Your experience confirms that of two others I know printing to the SC-P900. However, the SC-P5000 has been a different experience. It was working OK with Monterey 12.5, but the upgrade to 12.6 caused a breakdown in printing. It failed to print, or it would print part of a page, or the queue said it was printing when it wasn’t, or the carriage was pausing with every head pass when it was printing before prematurely spitting out the paper. This all got resolved when I was led through a series of instructions to implement using Terminal by a person with very deep knowledge. Extreme measures like this should never have been necessary. While the P5000 is approaching a six year life time, it is still very much a current model with nothing on the horizon I’m aware of to replace and deprecate it. Epson and Apple are both aware of the problem and I understand are working on it.

With Lightroom, ever since transiting to the Mac Studio M1 Ultra with 64 GB Memory and 48 core GPU the Develop Module of Lightroom (only) produces a flickering display when using the cursor to do anything. Adobe cannot reproduce the issue, which is unique to this one module of this one app. It doesn’t happen with Photoshop or anything else. Very strange.

So yes, I’ve been working my way through some aggravation. I don’t regret upgrading my environment because it became necessary to take advantage of the great new software features and the much enhanced processing speed that the Sony a7r4 really necessitates unless time is worthless, which it isn’t. But I could have been happier without the issues, of course.

Mike Broomfield
    Mike Broomfield
    Silver Member
    Reply #7 on: October 28, 2022 at 5:28 am

LRC 12.01 is released.  It fixes the problem where LR would not run if your catalog is on an external drive

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #8 on: December 1, 2022 at 2:03 pm

I am wondering whether anyone printing with an Epson SC-P5000 has yet upgraded to Lightroom Classic 12.01 and what their experience has been.

After upgrading Photoshop to 2023 version, the computer, whether through Lightroom or Photoshop failed to transmit print data to the printer on an Ethernet connection. Thanks to advice from Epson Prographics Tech Support, testing in Terminal indicated that the IP address timed-out the moment the printing system tried to access it. I had not touched any of this since the time I started using Ethernet, which I did because with then current Epson driver 10.91 USB was not supported between that printer and the Mac Studio Ultra. Neither I nor tech support know why this is happening and whether it is attributable to the Photoshop upgrade, or if that was just coincidental.

Anyhow, in sleuthing the problem this time, I noticed that Epson has now updated the SC-P5000 driver to version 12.62 which I installed (would be nice if they would notify users when new drivers are published and what issues they address). It did not fix the Ethernet problem, but it did fix the USB problem, so I am now back to printing on USB rather than Ethernet. Given the experience of the past year with printing problems coincidental with software upgrades, I have become somewhat reserved about jumping into new stuff just because it’s there. I’d be most interested in hearing of any recent experience with the latest Adobe software and this printer. I am on MacOS 12.6. Will not dare touch Ventura until quite a period of 3rd party testing provides enough data to know whether it is safe to use – testing that the industry itself should cohere on providing for still-current peripherals, such as printers. I do not believe that better inter-company coherence on technical compatibility and product testing would infringe on anti-collusion law, but that is for them and their lawyers to address and work around.

Meanwhile, like all of us, I need to rely on lessons of experience from the community.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.