2nd, and better, thoughts about Canson Baryta II

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Topic: 2nd, and better, thoughts about Canson Baryta II Read 683 Times
  • Daniel Koretz
    Daniel Koretz
    Participant
    Papers & Media
    on: November 15, 2020 at 3:16 pm

I posted earlier about my disappointment with the changed surface on Canson Baryta Photographique II, compared with the surface on the original Baryta Photographique. While I still prefer the original, I have to say that the new paper has grown on me. A Canson rep said that it resembles an air-dried silver gelatine print, and I think there’s something to that. I just printed a few 8.5 x 11 test prints of the photo below on the new paper before printing large on the original Baryta because I had run out of 8.5 x 11 of the original, and I was surprised by how much I liked the prints. I’m still intending to use Breathing Color River Stone Rag for some of what I would have printed on the original, but I think I may end up using Baryta II some of the time as well.

I’m curious whether anyone else has had a similar positive reaction to the new paper after using it for a bit.

Red Japanese peony in monochrome

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: 2nd, and better, thoughts about Canson Baryta II
    Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020 at 3:36 pm

My reactions to it are all in my review of the paper on this website. The surface texture differs greatly between the two papers, and it is essentially a matter of taste which one prefers.

That comment about resembling an air-dried silver gelatin print is a bit non-descript, because silver-gelatin prints came in different surface textures just as does inkjet media.

Daniel Koretz
    Daniel Koretz
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020 at 4:30 pm

it is essentially a matter of taste which one prefers.

Yes, exactly; my question was about taste, not about the paper’s technical characteristics. I’ve found that it’s grown on me a bit with experience, and I was curious what others think of it now, with more experience.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020 at 4:38 pm

Understood.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.