Wine Country Filter holder great but with a fatal flaw.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Wine Country Filter holder great but with a fatal flaw. Read 750 Times
  • Bob Hansen
    Bob Hansen
    Participant
    Cameras, Lenses and Shooting Gear
    on: January 13, 2020 at 3:36 pm

<p style=”text-align: center;”>I have been a user of the Wine Country Filter system for at least two years. Everything Kevin discusses is right on, however, with one fatal flaw in the system.</p>
    Having used the Lee system for many years I was always able to turn the filter adapter without fear of the filter holder falling off the lense ring adapter. It has a spring loaded brass pin that kept the holder secure while still being able to turn the holder for adjustments – even with one hand. The WC system has a brass screw down pin and if left even slightly loose for horizon adjustments the whole holder can and will fall off. I had that happen on three occasions.  I finally went to a machine shop and had them machine a groove around each lens ring at the exact point where the pin tightens on the ring. While this allows me to make adjustments in the holder position with more assurance of the heavy adapter not falling off the ring, it is still a fatal flaw.

The first time I almost lost the adapter system the camera was pointing slightly down over a canyon wall. I loosened the pin a little to adjust the horizon and the whole adapter came off in my hand and I caught it before 8t disappeared into the canyon.

I contacted Rod Clark and he told me that this was part of the design.

This is a great system and my comments are as a warning – loosen with two hands to adjust and tighten securely using two hands or have a machine shop cut a groove in each ring.

I shoot in colour and I think in black and white.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Bob Hansen.
    Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Re: Wine Country Filter holder great but with a fatal flaw.
    Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020 at 5:14 pm

I agree with Bob, and I did mention that.  I have shared with Rod too.  Because I am aware of this I know to be careful.  The trade-off is worth it though.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Kenneth Doo
    Kenneth Doo
    Participant
    Re: Wine Country Filter holder great but with a fatal flaw.
    Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020 at 12:36 am

The other nit on the Wine Country Holder is that the inside slot for a 100 x 100 filter frame does not have a lock or friction button lock to hold the frame in securely.  Frames can easily slide/fall out of this slot, necessitating use of adhesive tack or a small binder clip on the frame.

Ken

Ken Doo www.carmelfineartprinting.com www.houseoflandscapes.com www.kendoophotography.com

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.