Website sluggishness

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Website sluggishness Read 508 Times
  • David Eckels
    David Eckels
    Silver Member
    About This Site
    on: September 3, 2020 at 7:30 pm

I notice that the pages take a long time to update, especially those with images or in the Community section. My website is also on WordPress and at first was similarly slow until I recently did some optimizing to help with loading. I believe it had to do with caching and using some different settings. I am NOT a website guy so I can’t tell you how to start addressing this, but I do believe a snappier presentation of images  would help a lot with the “feel.” I also have noticed a couple links seem broken. Don’t know where to post this or those, but please let me know if this is not the right thread.

David
    Website and blog: www.DavidEckelsPhotography.com

Christopher Sanderson
    Christopher Sanderson
    Gold Member
    Re: Website sluggishness
    Reply #1 on: September 4, 2020 at 3:40 pm

Many thanks for letting us know. The techs are having a look under the hood.
    Please let us know where you find any broken links.

Christopher Sanderson
    Christopher Sanderson
    Gold Member
    Reply #2 on: September 5, 2020 at 11:36 am

From our techs:

” We do utilize sitewide caching, and optimization. The issue likely arises from the site loading all of those large image files at once [in the Community area]. We are looking at ways to mitigate this.“

I also note that the Site crashed on Friday evening. There may have been an underlying WP issue that led to this and which is now corrected. It is possible that issue also had something to do with the sluggishness that you noticed. The site seem snappier now…

David Eckels
    David Eckels
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: September 5, 2020 at 2:26 pm

I agree Chris, snappier. If I go into the Community header, they load fairly quickly. If I go into My Account, however, and click on photographs, they load noticeably slower. FWIW.

David

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by David Eckels.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by David Eckels.
    Christopher Sanderson
    Christopher Sanderson
    Gold Member
    Reply #4 on: September 8, 2020 at 1:06 pm

We have made one small change that will help initially when looking at the Community gallery.
    From our techs:

The issue with the slow page load was that it was loading full image sizes. It now loads thumbnails like it should and is more responsive. Keep in mind however that when looking through albums it still has to load the full image sizes.

Chris

David Eckels
    David Eckels
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: September 8, 2020 at 4:14 pm

We have made one small change that will help initially when looking at the Community gallery.
    From our techs:

The issue with the slow page load was that it was loading full image sizes. It now loads thumbnails like it should and is more responsive. Keep in mind however that when looking through albums it still has to load the full image sizes.

Chris

That’s exactly how my website works. Thank everyone for looking into this.

David

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.