Two views

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Two views Read 664 Times
  • Daniel Smith
    Daniel Smith
    Participant
    Black & White
    on: June 29, 2020 at 1:06 am

©2020 Daniel A Smith, Looking West
    ©2020 Daniel A Smith, Looking East

Same trees. Similar weather. Viewed from opposite sides.

Nice having locations with good graphics and close enough to get to when the weather cooperates.

Winter means frozen pond and slough so getting to the Western side was easy. No mud to sink into. 20 below and colder helps with being able to walk across the pond for the angle I wanted. Still have to be careful if going through cattails as they don’t get solid and it is easy to break through thin ice there. Not deep, but cold and wet and uncomfortable in the sub zero temperatures.

Many times I check to see how things appear when looking back. Two views of the same subject can be very different.

"A good still photograph, studied by an inquiring mind, frequently yields more information than a mile of moving images". Walter Cronkite, New York, June 1989

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Re: Two views
    Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020 at 10:29 am

I like the first image.  The other image detracts by the sunlight. My eye goes to the bright spot.  I like the other where you can easily explore what is behind the trees.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: July 2, 2020 at 4:53 pm

Of the two I also prefer the first. Still, it’s worth exploring alternate perspectives! Don’t remember the name of the photographer who first suggested lining up your camera on an image, then turning 180° and making an image from there.

Mike.

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

Daniel Smith
    Daniel Smith
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: July 4, 2020 at 5:18 am

I see what Kevin is saying, just as the books have been saying for decades. For me, the image works. The two show together. Same trees viewed from opposite sides. Not standing with the tripod and looking back but walking on the frozen slough and cattails to view the dead trees from the other side.

A small project I am working on from time to time.

"A good still photograph, studied by an inquiring mind, frequently yields more information than a mile of moving images". Walter Cronkite, New York, June 1989

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.