Tin Type WorkFlow

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Tin Type WorkFlow Read 308 Times
  • George Stark
    George Stark
    Participant
    New Article Announcements & Discussions
    on: April 16, 2022 at 6:21 pm

Jeff

I’m curious.  After you finish your work in Photoshop and move back to Lightroom are you now working on a layered PSD or Tiff file or are you now only making adjustments to a Virtual SoftProof copy or both?

Thanks

George

Jeff Schewe
    Jeff Schewe
    Gold Member
    Re: Tin Type WorkFlow
    Reply #1 on: April 20, 2022 at 12:19 am

I start everything in Lightroom including the original captures and the textures and edges. I open them into Photoshop and do the montage of image & textures and save back as Tiffs in Lightroom. In Lightroom I’ll do tweaks as needed. Often I’ll go back into the layered file in Photoshop if I need per layer adjustments. The image, when saved inherits the the Lightroom adjustments.

The final image is in Lightroom and printed or exported from there…makes for a nifty workflow of combining the best of Photoshop plus the best of Lightroom!

George Stark
    George Stark
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: April 20, 2022 at 7:34 pm

Thank you for taking your valuable time to reply…. super appreciated.

Though it make me realize how not so smart I am when it comes to working with Lightroom….and I’ve been using it for years and years…

I knew I could work on a Tiff  or PSD layered file in Lightroom …what I didn’t quite get was that after working on the file in Lightroom I could return to Photoshop via Original file method make adjustments on layers and then return to lightroom and still keep all previous  lightroom adjustments… Though one must work on the file in Photoshop without seeing the those Lightroom tweaks.

I would always return to Photoshop via “Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments” but then have to rename and end up with duplicate files and generate myself a mess of files….

Anyway,  you have shown me the light!….  I love learning something new that makes workflow easier even if it make me look dumb..ha……. Thank You!

Cheers

George

Jeff Schewe
    Jeff Schewe
    Gold Member
    Reply #3 on: May 2, 2022 at 5:51 pm

I guess it’s not real intuitive that one can roundtrip between Lightroom to Photoshop back to Lightroom and have the best of both worlds, DAM for Lightroom and it’s toolset AND Photoshop and its toolset.

I almost never open an image into Photoshop with the LR adjustments applied…

Ralph Upchurch
    Ralph Upchurch
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: May 3, 2022 at 9:24 am

I too have always been confused by the three options offered when opening a Lightroom file in Photoshop.  So this is a real eye-opener, and improves my workflow greatly.  Thanks Jeff!

Jeff Schewe
    Jeff Schewe
    Gold Member
    Reply #5 on: May 10, 2022 at 8:15 pm

You are welcome Ralph…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.