The light from above

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Topic: The light from above Read 581 Times
  • Daniel Smith
    Daniel Smith
    Participant
    Black & White
    on: December 4, 2020 at 10:31 am

©2020 Daniel Smith Canon 6D, ISO200, 24-105 EF lens

A good day for images.

Working some moose and the light through the clouds presented some good opportunities on the Prairie.

"A good still photograph, studied by an inquiring mind, frequently yields more information than a mile of moving images". Walter Cronkite, New York, June 1989

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Re: The light from above
    Reply #1 on: December 4, 2020 at 12:39 pm

Nice image.  Love the drama.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Reply #2 on: December 4, 2020 at 2:48 pm

Apart from what looks like a sensor dust spot (half way up, in one of the vertical beams), it’s a cracker.

Jeremy

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: December 5, 2020 at 6:27 pm

Nicely done. Is it just me, or is everything slightly tilted?

Mike.

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

Daniel Smith
    Daniel Smith
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: December 6, 2020 at 10:15 am

Thanks for the information on deficiencies. Old tired eyes are not as good as they used to be. So, re posted after driving to the location and double checking the horizon and windmill.

Got rid of the glaring dust spot & a touch of straightening.

Odd part is I watch horizons and verticals very closely. A few years back a stroke centered in one eye has screwed my ability to see straight lines. One eye – wavy horizons and telephone poles. Nothing is straight. The other eye, OK. The bad one is the dominant eye, the one I use for SLR and camera rangefinder viewing. Most of the time I have time to double up, tripod the camera and double check. This was not one of those times. A grain truck was coming on the gravel road and if I didn’t get the shot ‘right then’ I may miss it in the massive dust cloud raised by the big Semi loaded with grain.

So – my fault for missing these things. Now I’ll need to be even more careful before posting.©2020 Daniel Smith Canon 6D, ISO200, 24-105 EF lens

"A good still photograph, studied by an inquiring mind, frequently yields more information than a mile of moving images". Walter Cronkite, New York, June 1989

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Daniel Smith.
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: December 6, 2020 at 4:05 pm

It was an excellent image as is. We only offered suggestions. 🙂

Mike.

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC

Daniel Smith
    Daniel Smith
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: December 7, 2020 at 12:13 am

Mike, I understand that. They helped me take a closer look once again.

Lucky for me I can drive a few miles to the Windmill alongside the farm to market road and check it against a print. The windmill tilts a bit. Others near it even more. Hoping for heavy snow before long so I can get a blizzard or blowing snow. No matter what, we need moisture. If we don’t get 8 inches or so on the ground before the 20-30 below hits there will be frozen pipes and that will cause problems. We need the water for the ponds and sloughs as well.

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Reply #7 on: December 7, 2020 at 4:11 pm

I remember those days as a kid… – 40 and below, keeping the taps running to keep the pipes from freezing, and feet and feet of snow. ☃️

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC

Daniel Smith
    Daniel Smith
    Participant
    Reply #8 on: December 8, 2020 at 11:52 pm

Yep, Winter is coming. North Dakota – our part of it – needs moisture. We are in a drought. Ponds and sloughs drying and the cattail sloughs being burned off and the soil turned in preparation for spring planting. Optimistic view of those hoping we get snow and rain but not too much so as to re-fill the drying areas.

The weeks of 15-40 below are coming. Farenheit and Celcius meet at 40 below. Either way it is cold and wind makes for quickly numbing exposed skin.

Winter brings the stark landscape and blowing snow and blizzard conditions make for some excellent photo opportunities.

Nokian Winter tires on the vehicles helps a lot. So does knowing when to stop and turn around rather than pushing my luck. Four
    Wheel Drive sounds nice until you are Four Wheel Stuck – and a few miles from the nearest farmhouse on a non-maintained one lane track. A lot of smaller roads are not maintained here and are definitely “at your own risk” as going down one, getting stuck and finding NO cell service may mean you don’t make it. Walking for help in blowing wind and driven snow, no matter how bundled up you are – is life threatening. On traveled and maintained roads you stay with the vehicle – someone will be along withing a day.

Looking forward to the winter landscape and really hoping for a good winter of Auroras now that Solar Minimum is coming to a close.

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Reply #9 on: December 10, 2020 at 9:10 pm

Four Wheel Drive sounds nice until you are Four Wheel Stuck

Rule #1. Never drive anywhere in 4-low. In 2WD you can use 4-high to get out. In 4-high, 4-low might work. If you’re stuck in 4-low, it’s time to find a vehicle with tracks… Used to do environmental assessment on a pipeline construction project. Rule #2. Always carry traction plates, a come-along or even a jackall and chain.

Did some research work for a forestry company back in the 90s, and when I took the job I sent my boss-to-be a full-page list of what I expected to be in the truck. 🙂 “You want WHAT?” Good memories.

Mike.

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.