The Benefits of Regular Image Inventory Management (IIM)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Topic: The Benefits of Regular Image Inventory Management (IIM) Read 748 Times
  • Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    New Article Announcements & Discussions
    on: September 12, 2019 at 4:43 pm

What wasn’t discussed was the advisability of tackling the root of the problem which is to use more discipline in taking pictures and in reviewing them regularly to identify and save keepers while discarding the rest.

Coming from the film days, and especially MF film days, I still tend to have that mindset when it comes to my photography. As (primarily) a landscape photographer my subjects aren’t prone to much movement either, so I don’t need to feel rushed. And with the 80MP files of the Sony A7RIII I’m much more selective in the images I keep. Yes, data is comparatively cheap, but I still don’t see a need to waste it.

I haven’t taught any Lr workshops for a while, but in those I did I always invested the first 2 1/2 to 3 hours talking about DAM strategies, folder management, keywords, etc and encouraged everyone to set up a DAM strategy that works for them. My thought is, “It doesn’t matter if you have 200 or 200K images, how easy is it for you to find the one image you’re looking for? There are two ways to do DAM. One is at the beginning, and yes, it’s often tedious work. The other is to put it off until you have 70K images… 🙂

Mike.

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.