The Be Persuasion

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Topic: The Be Persuasion Read 260 Times
  • Erik Brammer
    Erik Brammer
    Participant
    New Article Announcements & Discussions
    on: December 9, 2022 at 4:53 pm

Thank you very much, cody, for your article describing something I have experienced with myself lately. I am still somewhere in between – some hikes are planned, but others are just about being in nature, yes, having a camera with me. And the latter ones often times take place in my immediate environment. Knowing the area so well helps with not generating any expectations, and that opens the senses for things never consciously seen before.

Best regards,

Erik

Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Re: The Be Persuasion
    Reply #1 on: December 14, 2022 at 12:02 pm

I suppose I fall into the half-way house as well. I go out with the intention of taking photographs and the hope of taking one that’s worthwhile. But from time to time, I put my camera down and just look at my surroundings. I think it’s important not to see everything through a viewfinder.

Jeremy

Christopher Sanderson
    Christopher Sanderson
    Gold Member
    Re: The Be Persuasion
    Reply #2 on: December 14, 2022 at 1:50 pm

Michael Reichmann would often ask if, as a photographer, you were a “Hunter” or a “Fisher”.

He was most emphatically a Hunter and often said “Well if it’s not here, it [the photograph] will be somewhere else!” and onward he would move.

Rarely did he linger in a place. I often found this frustrating, since it left little time for being in a place. But his success rate at capturing good photographs underscored the viability of his tactic.

Another fine photographer, Charlie Cramer as I recall, uses a different technique as a hunter. He often stops and quietly does a complete 360˚ turn using, I suspect, all his senses to ‘see’. That sensibility yields an astonishingly high success rate while perhaps covering less ground.

Stopping one’s movement, listening, smelling, feeling the touch of the wind, all these sensations really allow an observer to be within a place.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.