Spring leaves and fog

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Spring leaves and fog Read 928 Times
  • Steven Friedman
    Steven Friedman
    Participant
    Landscape & Nature Photography
    on: August 12, 2019 at 10:52 pm

this image is from the Smoky Mountains.

Andrew Molitor
    Andrew Molitor
    Silver Member
    Re: Spring leaves and fog
    Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019 at 12:23 pm

I would likely have not noticed the fog without the title, the background just reads as kind of vague here.

There are several elements in here, the delicate green new leaves, the tree trunks/branches, the fog. I feel like focusing more on one element, bringing that somehow visually forward, might be a stronger strategy here.

Not to say this isn’t lovely, because it is.

Steven Friedman
    Steven Friedman
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019 at 10:23 pm

Andrew I appreciate your comments and agree. The issue with this sort of imagery is it does not look great as a small jpeg. The images with detail and subtle colour look best as large prints.  Its hard to get a sense for the image at this size. When I look at some of Eliot Porters work the images as a small jpeg do not give you a sense for how the image would look as a larger print. Of course this sort of imagery may not be for everyone. Its cluttered and full of nature’s chaos. I like this imagery, but I do understand how it would not appeal to everyone, which is fine.  Just my two cents.

Slobodan Blagojevic
    Slobodan Blagojevic
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019 at 8:03 pm

Steven, this shot is a fine example how the inherent veracity of photography works: it is the very minute detail that makes the shot, rather than the subject matter itself, the hyper reality, so to speak. And yes, it only works if printed sufficiently big and with no artifacts (noise, loss of sharpness, etc.). Another argument for using the very best technique and hardware one can afford (this is not to say that you need top-notch gear to create compelling photographs, but to say you need it for this type of photograph).

Steven Friedman
    Steven Friedman
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019 at 9:00 pm

Thank you Slobodan. I appreciate your thoughts on this image. Currently, I am shooting with a Phase One IQ4 150 camera. The detail in these prints at the 43” x 57” size is stunning. You are right the fine detail is what makes this sort of image work. It allows the viewer to feel as if they are standing in the forest. They can put their nose up to the prints. One can see moss on the trees, and veins in the leaves. Its really something how far the technology has come.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019 at 1:09 pm

I would love to see the print.  When I make big prints I use the term immersive imaging.  You stand 4-5 feet away from an image and admire it.  You see something in the print and you step closer, then even closer until your nose is touching.  It’s at this point the image has immersed you.  You then to see a lot more things in the print.  You just can’t do this in an image on social media.  Nice image!

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Steven Friedman
    Steven Friedman
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019 at 9:43 pm

Thank you Kevin. I really like your idea about the immersive imaging. You are right, its hard to get a sense for the feeling a image printed large  gives you from social media. The images that are popular on social media are typically sunsets, aurora, star images or overdone saturated colours. Images of the intimate landscapes just don’t stand out as a jpeg.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.