School Safety Rules

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Topic: School Safety Rules Read 1114 Times
  • Daniel Smith
    Daniel Smith
    Participant
    Black & White
    on: February 20, 2020 at 2:48 am

Recess Safety Rules Copr 2019 Daniel A. Smith

It does get cold in our area. Wind Chill Chart with the notation that no recess when wind chill is 18 below Zero and colder.

Wolford Public School, Wolford, North Dakota.

The school closed its doors after 105 years of service to the area.

The Wind Chill chart was in one of the classrooms.

I have been documenting the school after it closed. A project that is both challenging and relaxing. A book will be out later this Spring.

Camera is a Sigma DP3 Merrill.

"A good still photograph, studied by an inquiring mind, frequently yields more information than a mile of moving images". Walter Cronkite, New York, June 1989

John Sadowsky
    John Sadowsky
    Participant
    Re: School Safety Rules
    Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020 at 12:10 am

That cool – uh, I meant cold.

JSS

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Re: School Safety Rules
    Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020 at 4:17 pm

When I was doing environmental work on a pipeline project in northern Ontario, if the thermometer was below – 35°C at 7:00 a.m. they wouldn’t work because the equipment would freeze up (broken dozer tracks are expensive). However, if it was – 32 with a windchill of, say -50, it was a regular 12-hour day. ☃️

When I was in school, field trips were cancelled if it was so bad the vans couldn’t get out. I remember having one surveying class cancelled because it was so cold the oil in the transit froze and we couldn’t level it.

Further back, I still remember grade school in Manitoba… They sent us out in the morning but kicked us out at noon because the storm was so bad. I had to crawl half of the way home because when I stood up the wind kept blowing me over. The next day you could walk up the bank onto the roof of the garage (and jump off the other side).

Been through the ice seven times now; it was very cold every time.

Ahhh… So many good memories. Not being able to get to school because there was no road (in Quebec).

Where we live now we had THREE WHOLE DAYS of snow this winter… Brrr!! ❄️ I still have the wooden snowshoes and toboggan in the basement.

Mike.

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.