Red Tinge on edges of image

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Red Tinge on edges of image Read 543 Times
  • Michael Kopel
    Michael Kopel
    Participant
    General
    on: November 18, 2020 at 2:15 pm

Hello,

A friend is having a problem with her Nikon (not sure of the model but it is new) and a Nikon 24-80 lens. She is getting persistent red tinge on the left and bottom of the image. She realizes now that this has been a problem since she bought the camera. She is shooting raw and the ISO does not seem to matter. Her white balance is set to Auto.

My thought was that this is a sensor issue but I wanted to see if anyone else had an idea on what might cause this.

Thanks.

edit – this is happening only on night images with shutter speeds as short as 20 seconds.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Michael Kopel.
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Re: Red Tinge on edges of image
    Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020 at 2:37 pm

I had a Fuji camera once that started smearing purple along the left edge, but that was after 45K images and it was tired. Since it’s new, I’d take lens, body and card back to the store and simply try a different body. That’d be your answer in a few seconds.

Mike.

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

Mike Broomfield
    Mike Broomfield
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020 at 5:08 pm

This looks like sensor heat from long exposures.  Not sure if it’s defective or is just what the camera/sensor delivers though.  If it were mine I’d return it ASAP.  You/she could do searches to see if the model she has is prone to this.

Mike

Michael Kopel
    Michael Kopel
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020 at 5:20 pm

Thanks, there does seem to be a problem probably with the sensor. Some of the exposures she showed me were only 20 seconds and without filters. I suggested she take it to an authorized Nikon repair center to see what they think. The dealer was not willing to open another camera or lens to test per Mike N’s suggestion. (Three Mikes on this thread, how about that?).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.