Print Storage Solution

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Print Storage Solution Read 172 Times
  • George Stark
    George Stark
    Participant
    General
    on: April 10, 2024 at 7:55 pm

I’m looking for recommendations on best storage solution for 8.5 x 11 “Physical Prints”

I really admire the organized photographer wish I was one of them.  As I learn and practice the art of printing I find myself buried in prints.

I print all my test prints on 8.5 x 11 papers of various types and the final image on same before I go to the larger sizes.

I keep all the P900 Job sheets for the various tests and finals so I can use them as reference to all those prints.

Yes, right now I’m keeping all the tests. Hopefully as I learn some type of print management I won’t be afraid to trash the tests and just keep finals.

At any rate I’m looking for storage box solution for all these prints and assume many of the experts who participate here may have the answer?

Thanks and Cheers,

George

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Re: Print Storage Solution
    Reply #1 on: April 12, 2024 at 10:40 am

Hi George, first it would be great if you wanted to join one of our print workshops.  We cover a lot that would be of a big help to you.  I store my prints in boxes I get from Archival Solutions. They stack nicely and I use an Esposn Label Maker to put labels on the outside.   Check them out HERE.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

George Stark
    George Stark
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: April 12, 2024 at 8:35 pm

Hi Kevin

As always appreciate you taking time out to explain your method of storage..looks like the way to go unless one has room and money for custom cabinets and drawers etc.

If I ever trek your way from Seattle I’ll certainly entertain the thought of a Workshop…

Cheers,

George

Mike Broomfield
    Mike Broomfield
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: April 13, 2024 at 5:06 am

For simple storage (rather than showing a portfolio) I would recommend archival boxes vs portfolio boxes.  They are a good bit less expensive.  B&H have a range that appear to be about the lowest price out there at <$15

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/599379-REG/Print_File_PFTDF8113_TDF8113_Drop_Front_Metal_Edge.html

Eric Brody
    Eric Brody
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: April 13, 2024 at 12:12 pm

It might sound heretical to some, but I store my prints, way too many, in the original paper boxes in plastic bags. I go through a lot of paper and have lots of boxes. The paper comes in each box in a plastic bag. I save the bags and use them to protect the prints from whatever evil the cardboard box might do during prolonged storage. I then use a labeler to denote the dates of the prints in a given box. I then stack them in my closet storage area. On each print I make, I note the file number, date shot, paper type, additional info such as QTR settings, and the date it was printed. There’s no additional cost since I’m just reusing the boxes in which the paper was purchased.

If I want to see if I have a print of a given image, I look it up in my Lightroom catalog, and then go to the date/month of the box it is in. I then shuffle through the prints to see if I have  that particular print.

It is not as elegant as archival boxes but it allows me to find older prints easily.

Given the probability (zero) that my archived prints will be requested by MOMA upon my passing, it seems like a workable solution.

My descendants will likely just have a big bonfire :-).

Christopher Sanderson
    Christopher Sanderson
    Gold Member
    Reply #5 on: April 14, 2024 at 9:20 am

Nonetheless, an organized bonfire!

George Stark
    George Stark
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: April 14, 2024 at 8:13 pm

Thank You all for your input… much appreciated!

Its fun to see how others deal with the task of keeping order with all those fine art prints that are piling up next to the printer…

You have all given me idea’s to work with.

Cheers,

George

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.