Preservation! The Value of the Print

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Preservation! The Value of the Print Read 508 Times
  • Dave L
    Dave L
    Participant
    General
    on: January 28, 2021 at 11:04 pm

Saving Your Memories – Make Prints

This article really made me think.

My GrandFather was my inspiration and the reason I started as a photographer.  Timely: he was a widower, who lost his wife to Spanish Flu in 1918. My Father was 2-1/2.

My GrandFather was a fine photographer; I cherished every image I saw.

My Father and Mother passed in ’93. What do you do with the house and cottage, let alone the slides and prints?

What do I do with my own work? If I don’t handle it right, it will just be more debris.

This is an amazing article, and I’m truly glad I read it.

Thank you!

DaveL

• This topic was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Dave L.
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Dave L. Reason: sometimers
    Tony Siciliano
    Tony Siciliano
    Participant
    Re: Preservation! The Value of the Print
    Reply #1 on: May 12, 2023 at 6:19 pm

I’m 74 yo and have almost 100,000 Raw and edited Tiff photos that live a lonely life on my hard drive. A few years ago my wife suggested I choose my 100 most favorite photos and put them as JPGs on flash drives to be given to my kids when I die. I did that, but recently decided to do something that seems even better. I am creating a portfolio of prints to be given to them after I die. I bought three black 1.4 inch portfolio boxes to hold 11×17 prints. I chose to print on double sided Moab Entrada Natural. It’s certainly more work making prints on fine art matte paper than on luster or glossy/semigloss or satin paper. But it’s been a great journey learning how to make good landscape prints on matte paper, and I think the photos are more art like and elegant than luster, etc. But I digress. For starters I am printing my 25 most favorite photos (x3, three kids). I chose double sided paper because I want to include the location and date of each photo and a little story about how I ended up with this photo. I think my personal connection to the photo will be very dear to my children. There is plenty of room in the portfolio box to add more photos if I keep coming up with photos I want to share with them.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Re: Preservation! The Value of the Print
    Reply #2 on: May 12, 2023 at 6:48 pm

I am very happy you both have found something in this article to take away. What we leave behind is so important. I love the idea of a jump drive and better yet a box of prints. If you have been following me for a while you know I am all about the print. Our printing workshops are gaining momentum and they are a great place to learn how to make the best points for single wall print to portfolios of projects.

Thanks.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.