Plaça del Conqueridor, Artà, Mallorca

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Plaça del Conqueridor, Artà, Mallorca Read 264 Times
  • Erik Brammer
    Erik Brammer
    Participant
    Street
    on: April 8, 2022 at 10:24 am

E8571047-266E-43E6-99CB-BC6D08EDFCF3

Russ Lewis
    Russ Lewis
    Silver Member
    Re: Plaça del Conqueridor, Artà, Mallorca
    Reply #1 on: April 8, 2022 at 10:49 am

Better, Erik. Good composition. Now, see if you get the guy to do something besides pose for you. The essence of street is interaction, either between people or between people and their environment. Keep at it. You’re heading in the right direction.

Erik Brammer
    Erik Brammer
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: April 8, 2022 at 11:03 am

Thank you, Russ.

Interaction between people is one option, potentially your preferred option if I understoodf your articles correctly. The two photographs I have posted so far in street clearly have no interaction between people but with their environment – maybe! In both, the person just seems to be staring. But are they staring at their environment consciously? Or are they just staring while thinking about something completely different from what they look at? I don’t know as these folks didn’t pose for me. I didn’t talk to them. They were just there. And I captured that open question in what I find a cool setting in both photographs.

Just sharing my perspective.

And I will post another one following my concept.

Russ Lewis
    Russ Lewis
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: April 8, 2022 at 2:32 pm

Hi Eric. I tried to send you a reply that illustrated my response on the subject. Unfortunately it appears PXL can’t handle that kind of complexity.

Erik Brammer
    Erik Brammer
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: April 8, 2022 at 2:56 pm

Hi Russ, no worries, I very much like the exchange, and I will post a few more over the coming days, and I appreciate your feedback.

Best regards,

Erik

Russ Lewis
    Russ Lewis
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: April 8, 2022 at 3:55 pm

Let’s try it this way. I made two points in the answer that included two pictures, but that failed because of WordPress’s klutziness. Here’s the first point and the first picture:On-the-Railroad

First, I have to say that having this kind of discussion on PXL seems to me something new. Discussions about genres often happened on Luminous Landscape, but not here. I’m happy that this is happening. We get plenty of articles about hardware, etc., but not enough about the significance of photographic genres.

I certainly can’t disagree with you. Here’s one of my favorite street shots. The guy is just sitting there, having a smoke and thinking, but the railroad car and the shed give it the kind of significance you’re after in your two pictures.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Russ Lewis.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Kevin Raber.
    Russ Lewis
    Russ Lewis
    Silver Member
    Reply #6 on: April 8, 2022 at 3:58 pm

Oh Hell! Good old WordPress.

Here’s the second part:Encounter

On the other hand, here’s the picture I use most often to illustrate what makes street what it is. Ambiguity is important, and as far as I’m concerned the best street photographs are deep in ambiguity.

There’s something going on between these two, but the picture won’t tell you what it is. It’s up to you to decide that. The most effective street photography makes the viewer decide what’s going on.

<

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Russ Lewis.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Kevin Raber.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.